• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help cannot install galaxy S driver

j.andrew

Aug 24, 2010
hi! I can't connect my samsung galaxy S to my PC. Always fails when it installs MTP driver, and the driver from the CD doesn't work either. googled it and found it was a common problem, but I didn't find any solution. Is there any standard solution for this? thanks!

My PC runs with Win 7, 32-bit

Hi

Well i can only say how i got my phone to be seen by Win 7 64.

1)Uninstall Kies
2)Went into regedit and searched for all files with KIES, and deleted them all.
3)Rebooted laptop
4)Backup the internal files to SD card, synced my apps with appbrain.com (as easy to see what was installed and to reinstall) ***then unmount and remove external SD card***
5)Format internal SD
6)In settings set USB connection to Ask
7)Plugged in usb cable to laptop and phone, choose Mass Storage
8)Win 7 64 installed the basic drivers, and i could see the internal SD as a removeable drive.
9)Unplugged cable from phone and replugged back in.
10)Choose Kies (***this is without KIES being on laptop***)
11)Watch as Win 7 64 installed the MTP USB Driver (the bain of my life) and another driver and watch as the pop up screen on laptop asks what i want to do (list of things, choose view phone)
12)Now you can see a phone icon in My Computer with GI900
13)Install the latest version of KIES.
14)Kies finds phone (as the MTP USB driver is already succesfully installed at stage (8 + 11).
15)Now starts the process of backing up from Appbrain and External SD card.
16)Have a beer or two to celerbrate :D

Now this worked for me, as I have tried different usb ports, uninstalling and reinstalling KIes, downloading many samsung USB drivers and still getting the mtp screen flash on and off in a mocking gesture.

Upvote 0
maybe not, but after a week of stress trying to get MTP USB driver to install, it was my last option. I did read on another forum that there is a bug with file names over a certain length caused an issue. So i just did a copy to SD and once i got it working i then copied back, easier when you are in mass storage mode then you can drag and drop.

The key for me was removing kies completly from my machine, OCD i guess :eek:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones