1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Cannot install widgets - what am I doing wrong?

1. OakIris

OakIris Well-Known Member

I am obviously lost in space here. This is my first attempt at adding a widget to my phone's home screen; from what I have read, it should be easy as can be. My phone is an HTC Evo V4G, running ICS. I downloaded HD Widgets. According to the instructions I have read for installations on ICS, you are supposed to tap on the "All Apps" icon at the bottom of the screen, then a window pops up and at the top there are supposed to be some tabs, including one for Widgets. From there you are supposed to choose your widget, configure it, etc.

When I do this, all I have is a window showing icons for all of the apps on my phone, with "All Apps" at the top left, there is no tab for apps, or widgets. What am I missing? :confused: :eek: (There was a suggestion to restart the phone if the widgets weren't showing, I did so, but this made no difference.)

Holly

Advertisement
    :
  2. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Try it with a long press on a free spot on your home screen :)

Harry
  3. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

Yes, and then tap Widgets to make them appear, then choose one. But you
  4. OakIris

I thought that was the way to load widgets on pre-ICS OS phones. I'll give it a try! Thank you.

Holly
  5. RyanB

RyanB Distributor of Awesome VIP Member

I believe that still works. If you're at or above 4.0, then you also have the option of dragging and dropping them from your app tray, where they're listed after the apps finish.
  6. jefboyardee

Oops, my bad, I have a steam-powered Optimus with 2.2.2. Two years ago I was on the cutting edge and now I
  7. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

In this way you described, I'll find the widgets on my ICS tablet (Sony) ... but not on my ICS phone (HTC) :)

The phone need this long press at a free spot on the home screen ... in that old way ;)
    But the tablet won't do it in that old way.

Harry
  8. RyanB

That might be from HTC tweaking the OS.
  9. OakIris

10. jefboyardee

None taken. I was merely confessing that I, not to mention my droid, have somehow become relics.
  11. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Might be ...
    but I haven't a newer none HTC phone for to look ;)

On ICS/JB phone's (HTC) Settings I've to use Personalize for to go to Home screen/Widgets as alternative for the long press on the home screen.

My ICS Sony tablet hasn't such a sub menu 'Personalize' in its Settings.

So 'Personalize' might be a HTC Sense thing ... :)

Harry
  12. RyanB

It definitely is, as I've had stock as well as Motorola's tweaks, and neither had "personalize" as an option.
    Harry2 likes this.
  13. OakIris

:D I have been a relic for a decade or so now; don't worry, it gets better.....I hope.

Holly