Cannot kill the Voicemail app since 2.2Support

Last Updated:

1. Cherokee_Outlaw

Cherokee_Outlaw Member This Topic's Starter

I'm using Advanced Task Killer. Every time I open it, it shows "Voicemail". It lets me kill it but when I close ATK and reopen it, Voicemail is back.

Running 2.1 ATK would keep all my task nice and dead until I needed them. :(

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

No clue but when looking at it in task panel its never clocked any CPU time (i dont get many voicemails on my personal phone, live and die by texts). Because its not using any CPU time its not really there, so to speak so I stopped caring.

I wouldnt worry about it, just exclude it and move on. It may be taking up a few megs of memory but Android will just cache it if it needs to. Since its not using the CPU its not going to have a real world performance/power hit on the phone.

3. Cherokee_Outlaw

lol I bet you I've used up more juice trying to kill it!

Thanks for the info on the power! I'll just ignore it.

4. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

As I understand it, killing tasks with JIT in 2.2 is different than doing it in 2.1. You are likely running your battery much quicker than necessary. Disable ATK completely for a couple of days and look at your battery life. I don't kill any tasks since the 2.2 update (was using System Panel) and I'm getting great battery life. I show a number of processes "running" but I don't think they are taking any juice until I call upon them. An ATK + 2.2's JIT = negative redundancy, in my opinion.

5. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

Yeah I think that is why a lot of people argue against task killers. I dont use automated ones, just keep task panel on my phone just in case a poorly written app goes haywire. Its nice to be able to tell one to piss off when its bogarting the CPU.

With your generic tasks "running" on my phone I haven't really had an issue with performance or battery life. I think its really the syncing and the extra radios being on that drains the battery on this phone.

6. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Yes to my understanding the way 2.2 handles Apps closing is much more aggressive and Task Killers are really not useful. I am biased though as I am firmly in the No Task Killer camp. Why would you kill the Voicemail service anyway?

7. Cherokee_Outlaw

Well, I never use the phone as a phone. Mostly, txt and email. I always liked to see ZERO apps running. But I killed it and will try to go ATKless for a few days.. :)

8. Cherokee_Outlaw

Just wanted to post this in-case anyone found it.. :) After going ATKless for a week, I had to reinstall it last night. I was doing everything I could to stretch more than 12 hours out of my EVO w/ the ATK. Today I'm happy to say that my phone is on 60% battery life and it's been unplugged for 8h 24m 20s... :) MEEE LIKES ATK...

9. Slick1020

Slick1020 Banned

Don't know why you are killing the app or service to the app. Screw up your voicemail if you want. It'd set up that way so it can download your voicemails upon receipt. If I turn off my radios my phone cannot download my voicemail. As soon as I connect to a wireless internet source my phone will download my voicemail.

10. Cherokee_Outlaw

I get 1 VM a week... Everyone knows to email or txt me if they need to get a hold of me.

11. DualSportDad

DualSportDad Well-Known Member

before i did a factory reset on my phone i was getting average 15hrs a day out of my battery. after factory reset (never ran a task killer before or after) i was at 50% battery last night after 16 hours. i'd say my phone use is medium maybe a little heavy. mainly texts and web browsing.

worth a shot for the better battery life alone.