• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Cannot Load Message" Problem Brand New Phone HELP!!

funky77

Lurker
May 12, 2011
Ok, so I'm new here , and new to Droid. I got the Incredible 2 and love it. Three problems though.
1- One of my contacts, I can't view any of the texts they send me. It will shown up in Messaging but when I click to see the thread it says "Cannot Load Message" I am confused please help! I tried deleting and it didn't help either.
2-My cell reception for 3G is around -90 or higher at most times. While I'm at school it continuously switches between 1X and 3G. Is this wasting battery, or is it normal?
3-I've read on the site mixed reviews if the battery life. I need it to last all day. I have the brightness at around 20%, No GPS or Bluetooth. I use WiFi maybe an hour then afterwards I turn it off. I send a good amount of texts, occasionally browse the web and watch YouTube videos in SD, listen to Music app, iHeart Radio(maybe half hour at most ) And play the occasional game. I do this during lunch, so only about an hour long But By 4:00 its at 15% and low battery. Is there someone wrong?
THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE WHO HELPS I APPRECIATE IT.

I'm gonna try and work backwards on this, not sure if the end product will be helpful though =P

As far as the battery consumption, navigate to Settings > About Phone >Battery > Battery Use. This should give you a read out on what has been using the battery, with percentages of power consumption.

I use my Dinc2 pretty heavily during the day, right now 81% of my power consumption comes from running the display. However, I've been running it from 7am to 11:21pm right now, and I'm only at 50% battery consumption with 2:41:21 uptime. So I should be getting about 4 hours of complete uptime based on that percentage; and I should get about 2 days of phone use (I can usually get about 1.5 days if I forget to recharge at night). I am also using Advanced Task Killer to monitor what is running on my phone, but I am not actively killing apps.

I would assume that the roaming is killing your battery, but you'll have to look at your battery log to confirm what the issue is. You should be getting better battery life than what you are reporting though. You might want to kill the 3g service while you are inside the school building, if you aren't getting good reception, there's really no point in wasting battery roaming for it.. You'll still get incoming calls and texts with the 3g turned off (Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Network)

As far as the text message issue, try doing a battery pull and see if that clears anything up.

Upvote 0
Hey funky77, I just wanted to add here that I have the same issue as your #1 item.

I had an HTC Hero for two years, never had this happen. I recently switched to an HTC Evo 3D and from day 1 I have had this problem with my most used contact. Since it started immediately, it has nothing to do with being "most used" or long threads or anything.

I have deleted the entire thread. I have pulled the battery multiple times. I have not deleted the contact entirely.

I hope this gets some more visibility, as I couldn't find other instances in Google, it seems to be an android-specific issue (not Verizon/Sprint or HTC/Droid etc.)

Lastly, here is my workaround: I open the text app, see all my threads, I tap on the contact picture and choose from the popup menu to View the contact. From the contact view page, along the bottom, I have a 'contact' icon. I can tap that icon and get a full page view of the existing thread. I can tap near the bottom to reply. This works every time.

Tim

Upvote 0
Dear All,

I recently upgraded from a HTC Legend (Android 2.2) to a HTC Wildfire (Android 2.3), and like all of you, after transferring my ontants and messages across (using My backupPro). Forn one of my contacts, I could not send a SMS, and I could not open the message thread ("unable to load messages").
Here is my solution:
  • one of the changes in 2.3, is the way it autolinks contacts.
  • For the contact I had the errors with, they had several contact entries that Android then linked together.
  • One of these entries had an incorrect mobile no. e.g:
    • +44 07xxx xxx xxx
  • Which should have read:
    • +44 7xxx xxx xxx
  • By removing the zero, and saving the contact, I was then able to send and browse messages successfully.
Hope it works for you to!:)

Upvote 0
I had this problem ('cannot load message' problem) after rooting an evo 4g, installing the synergy rom, and restoring backed up messages using MyBackup Root. The problem went away for me after deleting all the sms Drafts that I had. Make sure you also get the empty ones with no message and no recipient.

Hope that works for someone else too.

Upvote 0
I had this problem ('cannot load message' problem) after rooting an evo 4g, installing the synergy rom, and restoring backed up messages using MyBackup Root. The problem went away for me after deleting all the sms Drafts that I had. Make sure you also get the empty ones with no message and no recipient.

Hope that works for someone else too.

It worked for me! Thanks sooooo much!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones