1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Cannot locate a folder on my SD card (Galaxy Tab 2)

1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Well-Known Member

I'm still Android challenged.

I got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 yesterday. I put an SD card into my desktop computer and made a folder on it called APK. I copied many APK files into the APK folder. I installed Astro File Manager on the Tab and put the SD card into the Tab.

Using Astro File Manager, I cannot find the APK folder. What am I doing wrong. The path that shows at the top of the screen is currently "/sdcard" and I've browsed every folder beneath it.

Advertisement
    :
  2. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

When you open Astro, press Location at the top options, then it should show Local Storage 1 and Local Storage 2, press Local Storage 2 and that is the external SD Card.

It should show the path as mnt, extSDCard.
  3. You made that folder on your PC so it is Windows folder. Android can't see that.

Lose the folder and stick the .apk files straight in the SD card when in your PC's card reader. Then stick it into the phone and they should be visible.
  4. Alex Ethridge

"Locations" not there.

When I start Astro, the screen appears as follows:

• There is a narrow gray band at the top that runs left to right. At the left of that band is a tiny icon of a folder with "/sdcard" next to it. (This is confusing. If this is not the SD card, then why does it say "/sdcard"?)
    • Below that is a wider band that resembles a toolbar with a left-to-right row of icons identified as follows: Home, Up, Multi, Edit, Search, Back, Next, Sort, Prefs, Network.
    • Under that is a list of folders: Alarms, Android, DCIM, Download, Movies, Music, Notifications, peel, Pictures, Podcasts, Ringtones, Samsung, tmp.
    The word, Locations, does not appear anywhere and the only path that would indicate a location is "/sdcard".
  5. Alex Ethridge

That's strange; I used the same procedure on my Galaxy Note and the APK folder is visible and so are all the subfolders I copied into it.

The APK folder contains 235 subfolders and 1743 files. Each APK file inside the APK folder has its own folder that contains the APK, an RTF that describes the application and maybe some notes about how to use it and maybe more than one HTML about that application.

I want the same directory structure on the Android that I have on the PC. Is there a way to do this?
  6. Alex Ethridge

I think I remember now how I did this on my Note. I think I used MPE. I'll give that a try and get back with my results.
  7. Alex Ethridge

It sure is slow; but, I did it with MPE. Thanks for the help.
  8. Alex Ethridge

Using Samsung Galaxy Note i717

I could waste several paragraphs on the useless ways I've tried to do this; nothing I've tried works.

I want to be able to put folders on my SD card and organize my files within those folders. Example: I have a documents folder on my PC that contains subfolders, each subfolder containing several RTF and DOC files (84 subfolders and 1,104 files in all).

I also have an APK folder on my PC that contains subfolders (131 subfolders and 423 files in all).

What is the proper procedure for copying these folders to the SD card so that they are accessible via Astro File Manager?
  9. Alex Ethridge

I know you guys must think I'm writing to myself a lot; but, the purpose of this post is to help someone who might happen along who is just as ignorant as I about Android.

I found my APK and PalmDocs folders and my problem turned out to be that I just didn't understand the Android path structure. Being a person who thoroughly understands Windows file management and directory structure, I assumed that since the APK and PalmDocs folders were in the root of the SD card, that they should be visible when I tapped "sdcard" in Astro File Manager. Not so!

The path to the root of the SD card is as follows:
    mnt/sdcard/external_sd/
    or
    sdcard/external_sd/

So, I finally found my APK folder and all its contents at:
    mnt/sdcard/external_sd/APK
    or
    sdcard/external_sd/APK

I don't quite understand why both of thos paths go to the same place; but, for now, I'm satisfied to have found my folders.

Now, to learn how to make a shortcut to those folders on my home screen.
  10. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

They don't go to the same place. mnt/sd_card is the internal storage of the device. mnt/sd_card/external_sd is the sd card you insert, that's why there is the "external" prefix
  11. Alex Ethridge

I think you misread the paths I put in my previous post. They are identical except that one is preceded by "mnt/". Both paths contain "/external_sd".

I don't understand why "/mnt" precedes one path and not in the other and yet they both lead to the same folder.

I assume mnt is short for mount; but, still, mnt is in the path as though it were a folder.
  12. chanchan05

I just downloaded Astro, and now I see why its so confusing. LOL.

Anyway, I prefer ES File manager anyway. More straightforward.
  13. Alex Ethridge

It may not be Astro that triggers the confusion and the laughs. I placed the same folders onto the SD card in my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and the path is as follows:

/mnt/extSDCard/APK to the APK folder
    and
    /mnt/extSDCard/PalmDocs to my documents folder

On this device, there is only the one path starting with "/mnt". So, it could be the primary difference is caused by the device nuances, not the file manager. Your device probably has different permutations.

Additional info: I probably would have had a lot more trouble finding these paths if I had not used a trick I've used on Windows systems for many years when I wasn't sure which of two or more very similar folders were being accessed. I made a file in the root of the SD card with a unique name, 8891207.txt, then did a search for that file using Astro.

Astro found that file in the two file paths (even though there was only one file) on the Galaxy Note and in only one path on the Tab.

Interesting stuff; I feel like I learned something and settled a lot of frustrations. I was beginning to have violent fantasies involving a sledge hammer. :D
  14. chanchan05

Astro uses two different paths because of the local storage 1 and local storage 2 permutations. Using the default My Files app on your Galaxy, or ES File Manager, you just need to navigate to extstorage and its there.