Cannot pair DROID with Windows 7 64bit...Support

Last Updated:

1. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member This Topic's Starter

I posted over at the Motorola forums, and I have mentioned it in a couple of other threads, but here is the gist of it:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16333

It simply will not pair.

I removed the old Samsung device, rebooted the computer and the DROID - no go. I even added the Alias back to the computer and they paired perfectly fine. Therefore, the dongle (since it is a mini dongle, do I call it a dingle?) the computer and my BT stack on my computer are working perfectly fine. This is the same computer that I have been using with my Alias to sync with BitPIM, and I have been using BitPIM since I got the alias roughly 2 years ago (yeah, I have every text message ever sent and received on that phone in BitPIM....)

I simply cannot understand why the DROID will not pair. I get an invalid pass key or PIN error if I try to sync from the DROID side and the operation failed if I try to sync from Windows.

Ever weirder, I can pair the Alias to the DROID - although they won't connect, I get through the pairing process perfectly fine, with the Alias prompting me to enter a PIN, and then the DROID prompting me to re-enter the PIN. I then tried it from the DROID side and it sees the Alias there but will not attempt to connect to it after pairing.

So, why is the pairing process mucking up in Windows?

Advertisement
  2. InterMurph

InterMurph New Member

I am not using Bluetooth, and I am not pairing.

But I have a similar problem: I cannot get the Droid's SD card to mount on a 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate system.

It mounts just fine on a 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate system, and on a 32-bit Windows XP system.

On 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, the device is installed, but no drive shows up in My Computer. In addition, the Disk Management program sees that the device has been attached, but says "Disk 4 Removable (J:) No Media".

So this sounds like a generic Droid device problem with 64-bit Windows 7.

Check out https://supportforums.motorola.com/...3D2B229AFA8564C423C9B7A602FB08.node0?tstart=5. It sounds like the "Motorola Media Link" might be a solution.

3. wsbsteven

wsbsteven Well-Known Member

I use Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and I have no issues with mounting the SD over USB. This is done by plugging it in without any extra software.

4. radef

radef Member

Win 7 64 Bit Professional here.

No issues mounting drives.

Will try bluetooth some time.

5. Aquineas

Aquineas Active Member

Hmmm I am running the RC of Windows 7 64Bit (running an AMD Phenom II system) and I was able to at least mount the DROID's SIM. I haven't tried any fancy auto-syncing or anything like that though.

I plugged the device in, got the "Installing device software" on my PC, and then I tried to access the disk drive via letter. At first that didn't work; I kept getting "Device not ready" messages from Windows. I then went to the phone and noticed the little USB icon thingie, pulled that down, and turned on Mounting.

Not sure if this helps or not, but at least it's another data point.

6. InterMurph

InterMurph New Member

I am definitely pulling down the notification bar on my Droid, clicking "USB connected", and clicking the Mount button.

But it won't mount on my 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

When I take my phone downstairs and try it on my wife's 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, it works just fine.

And when I take it into work and try it on my Windows XP system, it works just fine.

Very frustrating.

7. Derekv

Derekv Member

I had never been able to get my windows 7 64bit box to detect or do pretty much anything when i plug my droid in. I then downloaded a program in the appstore called USB mount. Running this program is the only way i can get windows to see my droid.

8. cflow

cflow Member

my droid mounts fine right out of the box with my win 7 x64 ultimate. maybe it's a defect?

9. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

Multiple computers here

Windows 7 x64: Works fine.

Windows 7 x86: Works fine.

Windows XP x86: Works Fine

Linux ubuntu 8.04 x64: Works fine.

I'd guess perhaps defective phone.

10. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

I was able to pair my Droid via BT to my Win 7 RC 64 bit laptop w/ no problem. Haven't actually tried to do anything with it, tho.

11. blazingwolf

blazingwolf Well-Known Member

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. SD card mounts just fine.

12. johnlgalt

Indeed. I can understand your plight. Using the USB cable I get flawless connections to the SD card after mounting.

Because you were not mounting the USB, which the phone can do natively for you, just not in one click - you need to go to the Notification bar and drag it down when the USB cable is connected to both the DROID and your computer, and then select Mount USB.

The app you downloaded is a one click method for accomplishing the exact same thing.

USB or BT?

USB or BT?

Yeah, it worked with my Laptop with no issues - it spit out a 7 digit code that the DROID told me to enter on W7, and when I did it paired successfully. Therefore, I doubt it is the phone, more likely somethign I ahve instaleld on this machine, but I have to rule out security apps b/c both machinews are running the same OS with the same Security apps (M$ SEcurity Essentials, MBAM 'Pro', and WinPatrol....)

USB or BT?

Folks, I posted about BT, and InterMurph reported about USB. Can you please specify which methodology / protocol you're using?

Thanks.

EDIT: Added the following

Oh, snap - I just realized one app I have running on the desktop that is not on the laptop - TaskCatcher, by Bill Pytlovany (WinPatrol dev).

Let me see if that is the culprit....

EDIT: Added the following afterward:

Well, I went searching on IOGears website, and they have drivers from Oct 22 for my BT dongle. Let's give those a whirl and see if it makes a difference....

13. Crude

Crude Well-Known Member

Anyone find a solution to this? I can pair the droid to win7 64 professional but I can't get dun or file transfers to work. I'm 99% certain it's the iogear gbu 421 dongle bluetooth stack that has the issue but I can't find a working driver????

14. johnlgalt

The DROID doesn't support OBEX, so you cannot transfer files to it - but it can (apparently) stream music, or at least Windows 64bit *thinks* it can. Lol.

As for a working driver for the GBU421, it's simple - go into device manager, find the BlueTooth adapter, and right click and select uninstall. When you are prompted to remove the drive, select the 'uninstall' the driver option as well.

Next, refresh the Device Manager, and it will find it again, and it should find the driver that it needs all on its own.

Trust me, I just did this on a brand new (less than 7 days old) Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit install - I had forgotten that the IOGear BT stack was a PITA to get working with W7.

15. Crude

Crude Well-Known Member

nope nothing, I'm assuing droid supports bt dun right?

16. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I have had my Droid since day one. I have a Windows Vista computer which has worked flawlessly connecting to the Droid. I just got a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and I have tried everything I have read here. The folder will flash up briefly and then disappear. I have some pictures that I took today that I have to access. I know that I can take the phone apart and take out the card, put it into an adapter in my computer's card reader and get the pictures off but I would REALLY like to find a permanent solution to the problem. If anyone has any ideas, I would be eternally grateful if one of them works.

17. Ingle

Ingle New Member

Edit: I just realized this was a resurrected post that didn't have the answer I was looking for.. Sorry for contributing to it -.-

18. johnlgalt

Have you read through the thread, Barbara? If you install drivers that come with this particular BT dongle, they crap out in Windows 7 - the default Windows 7 drivers that are installed via Windows Update work perfectly fine....

19. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Well-Known Member

When i mount my sd card via windows7 home premium 64bit version, it asks me to correct errors on my sdcard before it will mount an popup the disk on screen. Is this normal?

20. leftystrat

leftystrat Well-Known Member

Not normal in that it does not happen every time.
    *However*, computers `see' the Droid as external storage, like an SD card or flash drive. If the file system is corrupted or slightly off, you'll get this error.

21. johnatthebar

johnatthebar Well-Known Member

I ran W7 Ult x64 with no problem mounting the SD card for months. Last night I accidentally corrupted the card. Formatted it after recovering the data and then I was having issues mounting. I'm going to swap the card but here is the workaround for those with W7 x64 SD mounting issues:

-Plug in DROID to USB (dont mount yet)
    -Select newly discovered drive in Windows Explorer
    -When 'insert disk' message appears, mount SD card from DROID menu

22. johnlgalt

Wel, I had started the thread b/c I could not *pair* my computer using *BlueTooth* - but that is a nifty workaround for SDCard mount issues.

23. cara03

cara03 New Member

I've constantly been trying new things with my droid since I bought it last year and I've only ever been able to pair/tether/connect it fully to my Toshiba (Vista) or X9 islate (windows 7) by USB. I've seen sites that claim to have gotten around it and connect the droid with bluetooth but the directions were ambiguous at best and better left alone. I use PDAnet to tether my droid to to my slate to use my 3G and it works well but the cord is a pain to deal with at times. I'd love to know how to do it over BT but I hear VW removed the capability because they plan on marketing it later this year for a hefty price.

24. johnlgalt

IIRC, Wireless / WiFi tethering requires a rooted device so that you can install the necessary files to get it working.

That is pretty much all I know, b/c I don't tether.

25. droidftw

droidftw Well-Known Member

i just got a windows 64 7 64 bit yesterday and it works perfectly.