• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cannot remove ADWLauncher

jared1234

Sep 5, 2010
B.C. Canada
So i have tried ADWLauncher but don't liike it, so i want to re-install Launcher Pro.

I googled how to get rid of ADW and i came across Terminal command
"'rm /system/app/ADWLauncher.apk"

I then get a "cannot remove, file is read only"

Hmmm, that should have removed it, should it not?
I even went into the Elelinux File Manager and found the .apk
I clicked on it to remove, then it just brings me to a screen as if im going to install it. I don't even know how that works considering its allready installed....

Any ideas ?
I hate ADW and need it gone, lol:mad:

Thanks Blane, but as Jared is running a custom ROM specific to the GSM Hero it's probably safest to use the file provided by the developer.

Ya, installing any sort of CDMA software on a GSM phone is a pretty big no no.

Same with GSM software on a CDMA.

I went with the dev's file and it worked like a charm.
Infact i think ADW was the cause of my phone's lag before i flashed LauncherPro. It was doing some craaazy stuff that it didn't like.

Now i am finally seeing what Elelinux is all about.
So far (48 hours) it is very smooth and responsive.

Deffenitly (imo) more stable and reliable than Froyd 1.5 at the moment

Upvote 0
well i tried using the root browser, linda and file manager built into elelinux and all it did was some how skrew up both adw and launcher pro...it was a huge mess, my phone was having some really strange problems. i then reflashed the rom and then before i even rebooted the system i flashed the adw remover / launcherpro installer zip and my phone is now smoother, faster and overall more enjoyable than it ever has been, battery is much better than ever before as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones