Cannot send/receive special characters in SMSSupport

1. moshemoshe

moshemoshe New Member

When ever I try to text ANY special characters, the character itself comes up as a ? and a space is placed between each character in the entire text, even when I text other androids or myself. Like, when I text myself

Hablo Espa

Advertisement
  2. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar Guide

Are you stock or rooted?
  3. Thorsten

Thorsten Well-Known Member

This is due to longstanding limitation of the U.S. implementation of SMS (Short Message Service; the texting-by-phone protocol), going back to those times when bandwidth was really expensive/limited, even for the big telcos.

The thinking apparently was something along those lines: since U.S. residents can speak or write absolutely no language other than English (riiiiiiiiiiiiight? :D:D:D), it would save some space if text messages would only use 7 bits per character, just like the ancient ASCII standard. Since absolutely no letters beyond the basic A-Z are covered by ASCII, it is impossible to use it to properly write Spanish, French (Hello, Quebec!) or most other Latin-based languages. (And you can completely forget about Cyrillic, Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese etc. etc.)

So there you have it
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
  4. Britt47

Britt47 New Member

I've been experiencing this issue since I bought my phone. I'm not sure if additional language packs are needed, so I wish to clarify any information here on this forum.

I am unable to successfully send and receive special characters in my text messages. When I attempt to send a special character (e.g.
    Encerspay likes this.
  5. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

6. moshemoshe

moshemoshe New Member

I'm rooted, benslgdroid, but I feel like, because of what Thorsten said, it doesn't really make a difference....
  7. benslgdroid

Threads are of the same issue so they have been merged to have all info in one place.
  8. Britt47

Britt47 New Member

9. benslgdroid

It's all the same topic now ;)
  10. eirikurr

eirikurr New Member

This problem is easily fixed. Open the Messages app, go to Settings and select Input Mode - Unicode. Fixed!
  11. Thorsten

Thorsten Well-Known Member

What
  12. badblue1

badblue1 * TRUCKS ARE BEAUTIFUL * VIP Member

I am rooted and have a lot of choices under settings, but no input mode?
  13. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

This isn't an app issue this is because in the united States there are very few special characters used so SMS will not send with special characters. If you are able to send one chances are you have a 3rd party messaging app and it is sending the message via their servers and not your carrier.
  14. jazzman06

jazzman06 New Member

wow!
    that fixed my cyrillic in a sec :) !
    all texts sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 mini Android 4.1.2 in Cyrillic
    were unreadable on other phones ( iphone, etc) and appeared as ???????
    the UNICODE trick fixed it !

P.S. just for the info , i am in Europe - France on Free mobile network.
  15. tt02002

tt02002 New Member

cannot fix code why is that?
  16. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

Could you give more info?