Cannot unlock my HTC Desire after 2.2 upgradeSupport

Last Updated:

1. uclaudiu

uclaudiu New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone,

First of all, I would just like to say that I am new to this forum and I apologize in anticipation if I am posting this information under the wrong category. I have done my best to read the rules before posting.

Anyway here goes.

I am quite desperate because I cannot use my phone as I should. I bought an HTC Desire 3 months ago from Vodafone(in Romania) without a plan so I purchased the phone at its full price. Consequently, Vodafone issued a free unlock code for my phone so I could go ahead and use it with whichever provider I want. For various reasons, I have not unlocked the phone in due time(as I had been using their pre-paid for a while) and upgraded the OS to 2.2 when the upgrade was launched. To be honest, the update came out of the blue and I guess I wasn't realizing what I was doing at the time so I went ahead with the upgrade.

Now, after going to the store where I bought the phone they have tried additional unlock codes and none of their unlock codes work! I have tried to get an unlock code online from a pretty respectable unlock provider and still I get: "Incorrect Code" when trying to do a network unlock.

I am now in another country (UK) and cannot unlock my phone so I can use it with any of the providers here. It just seems like any of the codes generated of of my IMEI are not working. I don't know much about phones, but this is driving me crazy, and I would really really appreciate any feedback or suggestion here from someone more experienced.

Thank you in anticipation! (and sorry for the rant, it's just killing me that I cannot do anything about this)

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Is it Vodafone branded 2.2 or is it generic? It could just be a problem in the rom. My fiance had a HTC hero, branded with orange. Had to root and put a custom rom on it before it would accept an unlock code.

Its possible your codes never would have worked on 2.1 either.

3. uclaudiu

Well I got the phone before the 2.2 upgrade so I am assuming it is generic-branded ?!

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

When you turn it on, does it say vodafone on a screen?

5. uclaudiu

It doesn't show Vodafone on a background picture or anything like that it only says Vodafone (RO) over the unlock screen bar(where the service provider name usually appears).

However, now that I am in the UK two providers appear, probably because I am roaming. It says Vodafone UK and under it Vodafone RO.