• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot use the Internet on my phone all of a sudden. Connected but cannot surf.

Janetherat

Lurker
Jan 10, 2015
Hey. I was on my phone (MOTO G) surfing the web and all of a suddenly, internet stopped working. However, it says I'm connected with full bars (as usual). Thinking it is just a glitch, I went to sleep. It still doesn't work the next day. Everything is the same on my phone except I cannot use the Internet. I tried restarting, forgetting wifi but no avail. It connects without issues but it just doesn't allow me to use the Internet. The other devices I have works, so it's just my phone. Any tips?

Can you check email, sync accounts - anything that uses an internet connection but not a browser? Have you cleared the cache and cookies in the browser? Tried a different browser?

If you find you do have internet service but cannot browse, this kind of problem is often related to DNS (Domain Name System) resolution. DNS translates website names into numerical IP addresses. Does using an IP address rather than a website name allow you to connect? For example, instead of 'google.com' use ' http://74.125.224.72/'. If so, it's a DNS problem

Upvote 0
Can you check email, sync accounts - anything that uses an internet connection but not a browser? Have you cleared the cache and cookies in the browser? Tried a different browser?

If you find you do have internet service but cannot browse, this kind of problem is often related to DNS (Domain Name System) resolution. DNS translates website names into numerical IP addresses. Does using an IP address rather than a website name allow you to connect? For example, instead of 'google.com' use ' http://74.125.224.72/'. If so, it's a DNS problem
Ok, I cannot use the Internet at all on my phone. No browsing, no apps, no email. I tried your URL, it didn't load. However if I put in Facebook (or any website) in the URL and I look into the error code, it says: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET. So I'm assuming it has to be a DNS problem. This is stopping my phone from getting any Internet access.

Upvote 0
No, it is not a DNS problem. The error was: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET
That's exactly what it means - no internet.

Try this:
1. Go to the phone WiFi settings. Long-press on your WiFi network name and have it 'forget' your network.
2. Power off the phone.
3. Reboot the router.
4. Power up the phone and try connecting to the network.
5. If it works say thanks.
6. If it doesn't cuss me out. Good for frustration.

If it still fails, a couple of questions:
1. Will the phone get on the internet with any other WiFi?
2. Will the phone get on the internet using your mobile data plan?

Upvote 0
I see where you're going.

May I suggest that rather than a router reboot in your steps above, remove power for at least one minute, then plug back in.

No need to modify who to curse out though. :D

Some have reported wifi trouble after a recent update. Go to Settings>> About phone>> System Update. It will show you if another update is available for your model.

PS - and a power reset on the Moto G for good measure - long press the power button.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones