Cannot use X while chargingSupport

Last Updated:

1. sam007

sam007 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Guys

Can't the Droid X be used while charging? Mine is charging right now and it shows me the screen and allows to unlock but as soon I try to click on something or change the screen, it does nothing. On the top, it shows this message in a baloon
    Touch & hold an empty spot to add shortcuts or widgets

So basically can't the X be used while charging?

Advertisement
  2. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Well-Known Member

I have never had this problem... I use mine all the time while charging... I would suggest taking it off charge and doing a batt pull then giving it a try.

3. esn

esn Well-Known Member

Try a battery pull see if that works if not do a factory reset.

4. somohapian

somohapian Well-Known Member

That's a charger issue. Its pushing the wrong power level to the phone. Try it on different charger.

5. xander66

xander66 Well-Known Member

I have noticed that occasionally my screen will become LESS responsive when charging on BOTH of my DIFFERENT chargers designed for the X. I have done reboots and pulls and still experience the problem. It may be a more widespread issue than I think because this is the first post I've seen and I never even thought to post it. Maybe get a replacement if it's a big issue to you?

6. matty032

matty032 Well-Known Member

Wrong voltage charger.

7. sam007

sam007 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Two folks have said wrong voltage charger. Can someone explain?

I'm simply using the wall charger that came out of the Verizon box and have tried two different outlets. Never had a problem electricity-wise in this apt in 8 years and all my phones and appliances have always charged fine

8. ad720

ad720 Well-Known Member

If it is the stock charger I would take it back to verizon. You can and should be able to do anything while it's charging. Bad charger or bad phone.

9. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I use the charger that came with the Droid 1 and my phone works fine while charging. Yea, it could be a bad charger or phone.

EDIT: or it could be a fix for it like esn mentioned in post #3.

10. dlbrando

dlbrando Well-Known Member

mine won't let me do anything if it is charging on the wally world charger I bought for my old blackberry. If I use one meant for this phone it works fine.

11. ROB98374

ROB98374 Active Member

I have 3 chargers. One that came with my X, one that came with my home dock, and a third party one I bought off ebay. The two Motorola ones work just fine, but the ebay one will charge but not allow me to use the touch screen while charging.

12. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

Never had an issue using mine while on the charger

13. 2horses

2horses Well-Known Member

Did you get a car charger, and will it work while charging on that one? I use mine while it's charging on either one, and have never had a problem (actually also charge via USB from my pc while at work without issue there as well).

Maybe your battery is wonky.

14. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

Mine works fine on a car charger or a wall charger, but it gets VERY unresponsive when charging thru USB.

15. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

So far, my Droid X has worked fine for me on any charger in any state while doing anything. I've had it since about August 20th. I've even used a 3rd party Belkin charger a time here and there without issues.

+1 for some sort of defect(s).

16. krist0ph3r

krist0ph3r New Member

i have a different phone (samsung galaxy i5510), but noticed the same problem. stock charger works fine, some BB chargers work, some don't, and my ipod charger doesn't either. also, i have a qwerty keypad, so i can verify that everything other than the touchscreen works.

with a bit of experimentation, the factor i noticed is the output current supplied by the charger. 3 of my chargers are 700-750mA, and they work fine. the 1000mA ones don't.

possible reason: capacitive touchscreens are sensitive to voltage, and charging with too high-powered a charger probably messes with that. just my theory though.

17. Riverman

Riverman Well-Known Member

Mine works fine while I'm charging it with a 1.2A Nokia micro USB charger.

18. chmodx

chmodx Well-Known Member

+1 for the charger being the problem. Eventually your phone will start acting crazy. I've had it where I couldn't unlock a phone and it started calling people.

Motorola is slick about getting people to stick with OEM stuff.

19. adammsu

adammsu Well-Known Member

Mine does that with the stock charger, and the USB i think. car charger (aftermarket) seems less so. Just makes it a little slower than normal, if i focus on placing my finder firmly on the screen before moving, it seems to do ok, but def weird.

20. adammsu

adammsu Well-Known Member

out of curiosity... what voltages are you guys reading?

my phone is currently reading full, though circle battery widget has it at 95%.

With wall charger in, it shows 4052-4072mV
    Unplugged shows 4065-4095 mV
    (values seemed to creep up more i plugged/unplugged it is succession)

(i was checking it by dialing *#*#4636#*#* and going into battery usage. I am sure there are apps to do this, but the built in method works fine.)