• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot view files/photo's HELP NEEDED

lisaW85

Lurker
Jan 21, 2011
Hi
I got the Sony Ericsson x10 today and am really lost, I have put in my SD card from my old phone and bluetoothed over some photo's which were 'saved in files' allegedly; HOWEVER I cannot locate this pictures anywhere and get a message no supported files when I go into office?
help needed urgently.

Hello there and welcome to the forum!

If you have access to Android Market you need to download a file manager... Astro is very good. This will allow you to look at your sd card and locate the files. (You can also do this on the PC when attached with a USB and using Windows Explorer.) If I remember rightly they either save on the main path of the SD card or in a file called bluetooth. With Astro you can move them to your Picture file and then Mediascape will 'see' them.

Office looks for Word/Excel/.pdf files not media btw.

If you have any further problems, just holler and someone will hopefully be able to point you in the right direction.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, you drag down your notification bar does it give you a notification that the app is installed? If it does, you can tap on this and it should open the app.

Are you on Android version 2.1 or 1.6? The quickest way to tell is on your unlock screen is it straight across slide or an arc shape swipe? On 2.1 it should appear in your app drawer quite early on as it is alphabetical order (well on mine anyway).

Let me know.

Upvote 0
No, don't feel silly! I am as puzzled as you. OK so if you go back in to the market and then tap on either downloads or My Apps depending on which version of the market you have, it should give a list of downloaded applications. If it is downloaded and installed you should see Astro there, it may then give you an option to 'Open' at that point.

Give that a go and I will try and keep an eye on the thread to see how you are going.

Your phone is on Android 1.6 if you still have an arc type swipe. Where are you in the world and what carrier are you with?

Upvote 0
Mediascape is really just used for your media - pictures / music / video. You can create albums within the Picture file on the sd card and move pics to them, either from old devices or your PC or to just sort the pics that you take on your phones camera. The camera roll option on Mediascape is what you have taken but this can get quite full after a while so I have sub albums in Picture, for example Summer 2010, Nights Out, The Dog, Snow! etc etc. Astro has a Multi option so you can select many and then cut and paste them to your new folders.

As long as you are not with AT&T in the US you may be able to upgrade your phone to Android 2.1, you need to install PC Companion or Sony Ericsson Update Service to do this - both are downloadable from the Sony website. PC Companion also has a programme attached called Media Go which you can use to copy pics/music/video over from your PC to your phone's sd card.

I hope you enjoy your new phone but you know where we are if you get stuck!

Upvote 0
Hi Lisa, hope you are getting on OK with your phone now. If you want clarification on any of the symbols etc just ask.

As far as I am aware Orange UK have released the 2.1 upgrade for the phone, you can check by attaching your phone to your PC and run either PC Companion which you should recieve a prompt for when first connecting to your PC and then select the Support section or download the Sony Ericsson Update Service

Sony Ericsson - Support - Phones - Topic - Updateserviceapplication - Xperia? X10

Just remember to back up your contacts to your SD card first or sync them with either Google or Sony Ericsson sync. You should be given a prompt to install the latest version of backup and restore before you run the update, which in theory should back your contact/sms/settings/apps up but it has proved a little temperamental so I personally wouldn't rely on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones