Cannot "Wake" DInc" once it goes into standby

1. dalite01

dalite01 Member

I have a problem with an Incredible that I can't find a solution for.

When I press the power button to lock the screen, it locks fine, but won't come out of standby, unless I remove the battery and reinstall it.

This started as unresponsive to swiping the lock bar, only when the phone is ringing.

After a number of calls (6, in a short period of time) that were missed due to not being to unlock the phone to answer, I had started using harder thumb pressure, tring to find the "sweet spot".

Ultimately, the touch screen glass was cracked from constantly trying to answer calls befor the ring timed out, and using progressively harder thumb pressure..

VZW and HTC refused warranty (phone 6 weeks old), so I bought another and sent the original off for repair to the touch screen.

When it comes back from repair, it has the new "feature" of not responding to the power switch to bring it out of standby.

Is there any application that may be able to switch the button used to wake from standby?

Currently, I have it set for the screen timeout to last 30 minutes. I am using it around the house on WiFi.

The new phone (not a refurb) is also unresponsive when it is ringing, but I have found ways to be more insistent with 2 fingers alternating the swiping of the lock bar, rather than using the thumb. I can answer over 50% of my calls before the ring times out now.

Is this par for the course?

Of course, VZW and HTC have never heard of this problem either....

Advertisement
  2. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

My $0.02 worth:
    1)Are you in a low signal area? That's the only time my touch screen is laggy.

2)You could also perhaps use SystemPanel or a similar app to see if one of your apps is tying up the CPU.

3) Does rebooting help?

4) On the power button, did they send you the same phone back or just give you a refurb? If the latter, I'd complain - sounds like you got one with a stuck or worn-out button. (Never mind, I see you said it's not a refurb).
  3. dalite01

dalite01 Member

Thanks for the response. You and I think the same way.

The phone is devoid of add on apps. I have reformatted phone storage, reformatted SD Card, and finally reloaded 2.15.00.07.28 firmware. NoGo

Signal is fine. No problem in this area for dropped calls, R2D2 during conversations, etc...

Both phones were new, not refurbs, as both were treated as retail purchases.

Rebooting is the only way to get it out of standby. First I have to remove the battery.

I understand there are some ground integrity issues on this model.

It is obvious that the power button works, and that the CPU strobes it looking for a keypress. I am really at a loss. It doesn't behave like any logic I know dictates.

If it is TTL Logic equivalent, differences in ground potential would make the pulse from the switch to make it go wakey wakey go to the bit bucket instead...

The new one comes out of standby (so far), but is sometimes un-responsive to swiping the lock bar. This happens mostly when the humidity is high, and the phone is ringing.

I also have a suspicion that the trace carrying voltage to the audio amp may be inadequate, and it may be loosing voltage (drawing excess current) when the phone is ringing, as this is the highest load on the audio chain.

A blown-out trace or poor contact of mating surfaces (battery contact, ribbon cable, common ground held by self-tapping screw anchored into plastic.... All of these may cause the problem.

But, since the problem has never been documented (this should be read as acknowledged) by either HTC or VZW, it fails to exist.

I though only Microsoft could cure the problem of replacing a burned-out light bulb by defining darkness as the new standard....
  4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

I know someone who had the same issue when trying to answer calls and had to use 2 fingers placed appropriately to get the phone to unlock. (only when receiving calls) Definitely seems like a grounding issue that quite a few phones have. I'd demand a replacement, its taken some people 4 or 5 tries to get a fully functioning phone. I personally am on my 3rd and haven't had any touch screen issues.(on any of them)

I believe some apps in the market let you use the trackball to wake the phone and can also be done through rooting. And I also think there are apps in the market that will get rid of the lockscreen(not sure if it is still required for calls though).
  5. dalite01

dalite01 Member

Thanks for the pointer on the 2 fingers. I had already found this to be effective in unlocking the phone.

Unfortunately, mine won't wake up to get to this point.

I can leave media (music) playing all day, and can feel the feedback when I move my finger across the screen.

The menu, search, home buttons all light up and provide feedback when pressed. However, once the display timeout time passes, the only way to get the display to light back up is to remove the battery and reboot.

I really thought that VZW or HTC would be willing to exchange/repair the phone, but sealed my fate when the touch screen cracked under increasing thumb opressure while trying to find the sweet spot.

Of course, neither had ever heard of non responsive screens, or grounding problems associated with the Incredible.

I believe the CSRs I spoke to are now starring on a Geico commercial....

I have already paid another $200.00 into the pot, as the repair facility I sent it to (non-warranty) reported the LCD to be non working on arrival. I believe it was actually in standby and deep sleep. Anyway, I ended up paying for new Touch Screen and LCD.

They were in touch with me by email the entire process, but no offer was made to replace the phone, as they were a 3rd party repair facility.

--------------

The natives of Oz have a highly specialized name for a boomerang that doesn't return when thrown . They call it a "stick"

I have a Dinc that doesn't Dinc. Guess I will have to call it a paperweight.