• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root cant access cwm or recovery mode for reverb

Nope. The phone requires certain data to be on the /boot partition in order for it to actually boot up. The OS is stored entirely on the /system partition, while the recovery is stored on the /recovery partition. You can manually wipe /recovery and /system both, and the phone will still boot (just not into any OS, until you put an OS onto it; in other words, a ROM) - the partitions are completely separate from eachother. Good question though!

Aaaaaaah, I see....and I actually understand most of it, LOL! Do you have an opinion on the other part of my post?

Upvote 0
Hmmm; kinda weird that the phone boots and works, but has no working recovery; stock or otherwise...doesn't the OS need the rec. file to boot/work? (please excuse the noob question..)

What about the stock 4.0.4 kernel that Interloper put out there...have you tried flashing that? If not, I'd say give it a whirl; you got nothing to lose, 'n everything to gain, right?

Use Odin to flash the stock kernel, (with the auto reboot off), then flash the CWM 8 right behind it in the same way, then (attempt to) reboot to recovery.

Thanks for the Reply!

NOT A BAD IDEA.
It'd be a very easy way to Root JB 412 Reverbs OTA and/or OutOfBox.
Can you point me in the direction to download stock 4.0.4 kernel that Interloper you referred to?

I could make a Tar file with the boot.img file from one of the Reverb ROMs, and try to Flash that with Odin to see if it makes an impact.
But if I break my kernel, I mos def break the loading of the OS.

Plus I'm not fully sure the Proper Procedure in Odin, I'm still pretty new to Odin.
???Same as flashing Recovery.img in a Tar file???
???Just place boot.img in a Tar file instead???
Flash with Odin using PDA, Auto-Reboot off, pull batt, ect...

I have the Kernels (boot.img files) from the following ROMs:
-PartyTime JBS v2.4 (ICS base)
-PartyTime v2.5 (JB base)
-Super Helado ICS 4.0.4
-AtriumJBv1.1 412
-Stock Jellybean 4.1.2 (ZJones)
-Stock RomPlus 4.0.4

Would any of you guys try this if you were me?
If so, which Kernel seems most promising?
If I flash a Kernel that doesn't boot my OS anymore,
And I still cannot get into Recovery,
What are the odds that flashing the Stock JB 412 ZJones Kernel will get the phone back up and running?
It came OutOfBox with Stock JB 412 Installed,
Kernel versions have been verified:
Kernel Version
3.0.31-1175366
se.infra@SEP-129 #1
Tue Apr 30 02:46:07 KST 2013
Would I be able to Recover from this? (No Pun Intended)

Also, another thing i Noticed about Stock Recovery Reverb vs CWM8 test.
(I'm really just reaching out for anything that stands out at this point)
-CWM8-test has a Recovery.img SIZE of 5.94mb (6,088kb)
-STOCK ReverbRecovery has a SIZE of 8mb (8,192kb)
-STOCK Reverb JB 412 boot.img Kernel has SIZE of 8mb (8,192kb) from Stock JB ZJones

Does the size difference have an impact at all regarding Recovery? NOOB question...

Upvote 0
Here 'ya go:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B329frHGB5S1RjhrZDZlTEJrZUk/edit?usp=sharing

Never tried uploading anything before, so I'm hoping for the best.

Looks like it worked :D!

Now,just use Odin to load it up.
Bring up Odin...I use v3.04.
Boot the phone into Download mode.
At the main screen, plug in your phone. Correct recognition is indicated by the 1st ID:COM tab turning blue.
Turn off Auto Reboot.
Click the PDA tab. This should open a search window.
Find the .tar file you just downloaded.
Open it.
Hit start.
Watch the lower left side window.
Hopefully, after its done, that window will say "success 1/failed 0".

Hope it works!!

Peace,
Sox

ALL THANKS TO INTERLOPER FOR THE FILE'S CREATION!! (And also the permission to re-post it ;))

Reactions: lgoptimusv5
Upvote 0
Here 'ya go:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B329frHGB5S1RjhrZDZlTEJrZUk/edit?usp=sharing

ALL THANKS TO INTERLOPER FOR THE FILE'S CREATION!! (And also the permission to re-post it ;))

YES THANKS INTERLOPER!

OK.
Seems like same procedure as flashing Recovery with Odin. (But way more at Risk this time)
I now have Interlopers Stock 404 Kernel, which i verified, is simply a Tar file with boot.img file in it. (THANKS Interloper & Soxtober05)
I also have boot.img from StockJB ZJones I will make a Tar of just in case.
The boot.img from Stock JB ZJones and Interloper's ICS are the same size...
So it looks promising to me.
(Although the size may have no impact at all?)

(I'm still wondering about the Size Difference of Stock Recovery vs CWM8)

If I flash a different Kernel, and break the OS, but can get into CWM, I'm OK with that, because I now have a Recovery to flash ZIPs in.
If I flash a different Kernel, and break the OS, but still cannot get into CWM, then I need cross my fingers and Hope that Flashing the Kernel from Stock JB ZJones will at least get the OS back.

Supposedly the OTA and OutOfBox JB 412 Reverb Kernels are the same:
Kernel Version
3.0.31-1175366
se.infra@SEP-129 #1
Tue Apr 30 02:46:07 KST 2013

So in theory, I should be able to get back to normal running OS condition if all else fails by flashing the stock JB kernel back...
??Thoughts??

Definitely More Risk than just Flashing the Recovery, so I'm proceeding with much caution...

Soxtober05,
Your Idea makes sense to me that Flashing a different Kernel would allow the booting of a different Recovery (CWM8).
To me, it's just like when you need to flash a Custom Kernel for a certain Custom ROM to allow the ROM to boot...
So it seems like a logical thing to try.
Anyone else care to share their Opinion? Seems logical?
As soon as i get some more Feedback, the opportunity, and the stones, I will try this, and report results..

If this does work, it has the potential to fix other SoftBricked Reverbs as well, by simply flashing Kernel, and then using CWM8 to fix their partitions they broke in Odin, ect...

Upvote 0
If your still skeptical, take a look at my stickied thread; Interloper posted that he has an idea about what is going on, and needs some technical data from owners of this phone.
BY FAR AND AWAY he is the better person to bounce around some of your tech questions with. All I can offer is speculation and the occasional 'duuuuuuh' :rolleyes: LOL!
I'm more than happyto help out, but my knowledge is waaaaaay limited, bro.
Anyway, your welcome (for the upload); hope it works!

I would have done it sooner, but I felt I needed to get his permission to put it out there again first.

Peace,
Sox

Reactions: lgoptimusv5
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones