• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't add more music to my SD card

sotoj159

Lurker
Dec 25, 2012
I have a 32 gb micro SDHC card that I bought for my phone. I know this is supported. I have about 20 gb of music and would like to add it to the card.

I put the card in the slot by the battery, connected the phone, "Mass Storage", started adding music. It shows that the music is added onto the card (This IS the card, not the internal memory).

However, when I go to play music, I don't have all of it in there. I go to settings/storage, and under SD card it says that ~30gb is the total space, and there is ~24gb of available space.

The card is only accepting about 6gb of my music. I've tried fixing this. I've tried deleting everything and adding one album at a time. Nope. It won't go past the 6gb of data. I've tried deleting all the music, then first adding music from the middle or the end of my artists, and it will take the music up UNTIL 6gb.

This card clearly says 32gb, the phone shows that it's 32gb. Why is this? Help :thinking:

PS: I've only tried adding the music to the card while it was in the phone. I haven't tried using an adapter and adding the music separately. I'll try that. Still, it should work with the card in the phone.

Also, all the music is .mp3. It should all be supported.

Alright, here's what I would do: if you have a sd card adapter for a computer, put the card in there, and when that 'disk' shows up on your computer, right click on it and select 'format' and stick with the default settings, make sure 'quick format' is checked, and then click 'start'. Once it is formatted, it is completely wiped/reset. Now try putting the card back into your phone. Under Settings -> Storage, format the 32GB sd card via your phone this time (this will set it up for use with Android). Now try adding your music back onto the sd card. If that doesn't work via adding it by your phone, try adding it via a computer.

Upvote 0
DsyMnapTic: Yes, the card is brand new. Bought it on ebay, but it was still in its unopened packaging.

EarlyMon: Oh god.....yes I did buy it from ebay. It wasn't open though. The packaging seemed legit, but what do I know. Maybe.

Artine, giantpune, riggerman0421: I'll definitely try this. I'll report back once I have.

Upvote 0
How come when the phone is connected to the computer it shows that all the music is transferring then? I'll transfer my music and there's no prompt that comes up saying that it's full. If it is fake and is actually say a 4gb card instead of a 32gb card, then wouldn't something pop up telling me that the memory is full, instead of actually transferring all the files?

All the files appear on the SD card, it's just once safely remove it and check my phone that they don't appear.

Upvote 0
How come when the phone is connected to the computer it shows that all the music is transferring then? I'll transfer my music and there's no prompt that comes up saying that it's full. If it is fake and is actually say a 4gb card instead of a 32gb card, then wouldn't something pop up telling me that the memory is full, instead of actually transferring all the files?

All the files appear on the SD card, it's just once safely remove it and check my phone that they don't appear.

Have you tried simply rebooting your phone with the card already inside?

What brand/model is the card?

Did you ever try using the card inserted into a PC (memory card slot/adapter).... browsing the files, checking free space/capacity and playing all your files from the card?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones