• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't add primary Gmail account on Milestone with 2.1

Antares

Lurker
Jul 22, 2010
Hi there,

I'm trying to add the primary Gmail account to my new Milestone with 2.1.

I tried all the three ways that requires you to add such account as a 1st step:
- Through the "Gmail" button.
- Through the "Market" button.
- Through "Settings > Accounts & sync > Add account > Google"

And I tried both via WiFi and via 3G.

It just doesn't work!

After entering my Gmail username and password, I receive the following for a while:

"Signing in...your phone needs to communicate with Google servers to set up your account..."

But then:

"Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services..."

Please note:

I'm trying to "sign in" with a previously created account (i.e. I'm not creating a new account from the phone).

Both the Browser and my corporate email (Exchange) account work fine, both via WiFi and 3G, so data connectivity is not the problem...

Am I missing any basic steps or checks?

Any ideas on how to solve or troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks!

I to have been having issues with adding accounts to my Milestone lately. I am wanting to do a factory reset on my phone and start anew with a clean set up, but I really don't want to if the Google Servers are having issues with adding accounts.

No need to do a hard reset to add additional GMail accounts.
You need to be rooted to do this, but here is a fix:

Just delete the folder ''com.android.providers.settings' in:
/data/data/ and restart (before and after).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones