Can't associate ringtones with contactsSupport

Last Updated:

1. dmcromer

dmcromer Member This Topic's Starter

I'm a new member; I've had my Fascinate for about 2 weeks.

Last night I tried to do something that seems simple: set a song as a ringtone for a specific contact. The procedure is given on page 75 of the manual. But it doesn't work! :mad: When I try it, I get a screen that says to press Menu and touch "Get friends" or "Accounts". But pressing Menu does nothing.

I've gone through and activated sync for all accounts (and run sync multiple times), and my contacts DO all show up when I select "Contacts" from the home screen, but the manual's procedure still fails as described above :confused:.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks very much!

Advertisement
  2. dmcromer

Guess I should've tried harder before posting the question...
    I would've deleted the post, but I couldn't figure out how.

I figured out how to do it (it can be done directly from Contacts, or by doing a search for the contact during the procedure outlined in the manual).
    (I assume all you guys already know how; if anyone IS having trouble, let me know & I'd be happy to go through it.)

3. sho95

sho95 Well-Known Member

If the contact came from you gmail account it wont let you do it but if you create it on the phone it will give you to option under that persons contact under edit. But I believe there's another way by linking contact and all you have to do is just fill out the name when you create a contact. There's a thread somewhere around here that can help you. better.

4. lqdcrystal

lqdcrystal Member

I too have the same problem. My sales rep and I spent almost two hours trying to figure it out. We finally gave up and took the opinion that maybe we need to wait for an update to come through. The Fascinate is so new on the market and manufacturer updates are slow to come out. I wish I could help you more but at least I can let you know you are not alone.

5. dmcromer

Like your handle, lqdcrystal.

Here's how to associate ringtones with contacts (at least this works for me):
    1. Go to Contacts.
    2. Select a contact.
    3. Press the Menu softkey, then select Edit from the popup menu.
    4. At the top of the screen you will see multiple accounts (I guess; I see "Google" and "Phone"). Select "Phone".
    5. Scroll down until you see "Ringtone"; (it may say "Default ringtone" underneath).
    6. Press "Ringtone" & you should be presented with a popup with 2 choices: "Default ringtone" and "Phone ringtone"; select "Phone ringtone".
    7. This gives a popup "Complete action using", with 2 choices "Android System" or "Select music". Choosing Android System will allow you to choose from ringtones that came on the phone originally; "Select music" will let you choose from music files you have put on the phone (SD card). (Note: if you press "Select music" you are presented with yet another popup - select Music there for music files; selecting System ringtone will get you back to the system standard ringtones.
    8. Just pick what ringtone you want, then touch "Save" when it takes you back.

*whew* Hope I was clear; probably more detail than you need.

Note: it appears that you CAN use the technique given on page 75 in the manual; you just have to hit the search softkey and search for a contact during the process.

Hope this helps.

6. seanatsb

seanatsb Well-Known Member

This is to help those who have a lot of contacts imported from google on their samsung Fascinate and cannot assign ringtones to those contacts. I couldn't find a simple explanation on how to do this, but figured something out based on info in this link: http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/81776-how-copy-import-google-contacts-phone-contacts.html . Here are the steps:
    1)Select "contacts"
    2)Hit capacitive "menu" button
    3)Select "more"
    4)Select "Export/Import"
    5)Select "Export to SD card"
    6)Click "ok" to confirm export (vcf file will be exported to your SD card)
    7)Repeat steps 1-4
    8)Select "Import from SD card"
    9)Select "phone" under 'create contact under account' box
    10a)If you only have on vCard (vcf file) the phone will automatically add these contacts to your phone contacts
    10b)If you have multiple vCards on your SD card, it will give you the option of which one to choose.

Your contacts will now be in your phone and you can now go into your contact list, choose a contact, hit edit, select phone as opposed to google, and then select a ringtone as described in this thread and others.

mark20044 and partymonster like this.
  7. Crucial

Crucial Well-Known Member

Does this stop them from being synced to the google account though?

8. partymonster

partymonster Member

I believe if you have your phone set to sync with Google contacts on a regular basis, you would need to perform this technique whenever a new contact(s) is/are added.