• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can't backup ROM

Nirvalica

Dec 2, 2010
NJ
EDIT: I guess I should introduce myself first haha

Hello, I'm Patrick. I'm from Norther NJ. This is my first smartphone, and I love it. I love electronics and technology, from computers to theater systems. video games to car audio. And now I've found something new in android smartphones.

So now that you know a little about me, I need your help! haha

I rooted my phone, and I installed Rom Manager, I flashed ClockworkMod Recovery twice for the fascinate, and now I want to backup my current rom.

I'm fairly new at this, so I have a few questions. First, what exactly is a rom. I mean, I think I have some idea what it is, but I'm not completely sure. Do they just make changes to the look and workings of the OS?

Anyways, about this backup. As far as I understand it, if I really mess up my phone somehow, I can load this backed-up rom and my phone will be the same as it is right now, correct?

So assuming I'm correct up to this point, I want to backup my current rom just in case. I'm guessing I just hit the button and let it do it's thing. But then it takes me to this screen and gives me an error.

As far as I know, I think I've done everything correctly, but chances are I messed something up somewhere. Any idea what to do?

Also, please excuse the picture quality, I was too lazy to find my camera so I just used my Dare.

Attachments

• 1202002358.jpg
    1202002358.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 72
EDIT:
I rooted my phone, and I installed Rom Manager, I flashed ClockworkMod Recovery twice for the fascinate, and now I want to backup my current rom.

I'm fairly new at this, so I have a few questions. First, what exactly is a rom. I mean, I think I have some idea what it is, but I'm not completely sure. Do they just make changes to the look and workings of the OS?

Anyways, about this backup. As far as I understand it, if I really mess up my phone somehow, I can load this backed-up rom and my phone will be the same as it is right now, correct?

So assuming I'm correct up to this point, I want to backup my current rom just in case. I'm guessing I just hit the button and let it do it's thing. But then it takes me to this screen and gives me an error.

As far as I know, I think I've done everything correctly, but chances are I messed something up somewhere. Any idea what to do?

it sounds like you never actually installed clockwork recovery on to your phone Clockworkmod installation how to for windows / *nix - xda-developers

you only flash it twice in rom manager once its been pushed by the odin program on your computer

basically a rom is a customized version of the software for our phones that may slim down the bloat, add customizations in, change launchers, or in some extreme cases be a total rewrite (well not total, but extreme) of the os

the picture you have displayed is stock recovery. when you put clockwork recovery on your phone it puts an update.zip file on the root of your sdcard that enables clockwork to flash through stock recovery. (never rename or move this file ever)

so when you boot into recovery from rom manager you would zip past this screen autmoatically....if you used 3 button recovery (battery pull, hold down volume keys and power) it would show this screen and then you would "apply update.zip"

in clockwork recovery you can make backups (nandroids) of your phone at the moment of backup...similar to backup images of a pc. *most* of the time you can restore this backups when you screwup...in some cases if you do something wrong in say odin or if you updgrade to a newer os you cant.

really virtually anything you to do this phone can be fixed though...

oh and welcome :)

Reactions: Nirvalica
Upvote 0
Oh, alright. I see what I you did there. I was under the assumption that everything could have been done from within the ROM manager program with no need to use the computer for any part of the process.

But now I guess having done that step I truly don't need the computer for any part of this anymore, right?

Thanks for the help btw. Sometimes it's confusing reading the tutorials because they are written in a way that doesn't make it easy for someone who isn't familiar with your terms or sometimes skip little, seemingly trivial steps that someone who is new might not automatically know to do.

Upvote 0
Oh, alright. I see what I you did there. I was under the assumption that everything could have been done from within the ROM manager program with no need to use the computer for any part of the process.

But now I guess having done that step I truly don't need the computer for any part of this anymore, right?

Thanks for the help btw. Sometimes it's confusing reading the tutorials because they are written in a way that doesn't make it easy for someone who isn't familiar with your terms or sometimes skip little, seemingly trivial steps that someone who is new might not automatically know to do.

most things dont have to be done from the computer other than pushing clockwork recovery and using odin to upgrade your radio if you go to the leaked DJ05 update.

however most kernels/roms/themes etc arent in rom manager so you have to transfer them to your sdcard and flash them in clockwork (or in rom manager if you want)

Upvote 0
most things dont have to be done from the computer other than pushing clockwork recovery and using odin to upgrade your radio if you go to the leaked DJ05 update.

however most kernels/roms/themes etc arent in rom manager so you have to transfer them to your sdcard and flash them in clockwork (or in rom manager if you want)
Yea. I'm thinking I'm going to hold off that upgrade until the DJ05 update is officially released.

Now when that is released OTA, will my phone update to it, or will I have to unroot and undo all of what I've done?

Also, Is there a 2.2 rom out, or do we still have to wait for Verizon/Samsung to release it before dev's can create 2.2 roms?

Upvote 0
Yea. I'm thinking I'm going to hold off that upgrade until the DJ05 update is officially released.

Now when that is released OTA, will my phone update to it, or will I have to unroot and undo all of what I've done?

Also, Is there a 2.2 rom out, or do we still have to wait for Verizon/Samsung to release it before dev's can create 2.2 roms?

thats the question usually regarding otas and root....you will probably receive the ota assuming you dont remove vzws bloat apps, but there no guarantee.

then of course you may be able to download the ota but it wont install because of clockwork recovery. every situation is unique :eek:

if you actually want to pull the ota for sure, you may have to odin the phone all the way back to stock...(root should be fine, you will just loose it in the ota and have to reroot)

and there are no 2.2 roms as we have yet to have a 2.2 leak

Upvote 0
thats the question usually regarding otas and root....you will probably receive the ota assuming you dont remove vzws bloat apps, but there no guarantee.

then of course you may be able to download the ota but it wont install because of clockwork recovery. every situation is unique :eek:

if you actually want to pull the ota for sure, you may have to odin the phone all the way back to stock...(root should be fine, you will just loose it in the ota and have to reroot)

and there are no 2.2 roms as we have yet to have a 2.2 leak
Yea, I figured that much. Well, I guess I'll just wait and see what happens with this update. Worst case, I just install it myself. I'm sure once it's released, someone will make it available just like they have with the leaked copy.

Upvote 0
I actually have another question about Titanium Backup. If I backup my programs and all that, can I reinstall/restore them on a new rom? And does it backup things like my texts and all that?

yes. if you do a batch backup backup of your apps and app data you can then restore the apps and their data on a new rom if you wipe....just dont restore system data

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones