Can't boot into recovery mode

Last Updated:

1. Shawn_Diggidy

Shawn_Diggidy Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Sprint Hero that I have rooted and in trying to do a Nandroid backup have found myself unable to get to recovery mode. I hold Home, hit power and the system hangs on the initial HTC screen until I remove the battery. After that the phone will boot into the regular OS just fine.

Now I am kinda stuck here, without recovery mode I can't even restore my phone back to stock can I? It's not urgent since my phone works normally otherwise, but any help on this would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. BlueScreenOfLife

BlueScreenOfLife Active Member

go into your adb shell from cmd
    type reboot recovery

3. bbv203

bbv203 Well-Known Member

It's volume down + power on my phone

cabbie likes this.
  4. itsmoirob

itsmoirob Well-Known Member

Kelmar Edit: Ooops! This post has to do with the GSM Hero and not CDMA Hero. Please disregard it's content !

-Kelmar

EDIT:
    It appears that I was not flashing correctly. Now all fixed. Hopefully see you on the other side in wokring order.

I'm having a similar problem.

Using the instructions here http://androidforums.com/all-things...nstall-custom-rom-backup-more.html#post454774

I'm coming from a HTC Hero 1.5 Orange phone.
    I've rooted phone (I've tested this by downloading an app that needs root access and it works with no problems.)
    I copied the file recovery-RA-hero-v1.6.2.img from [Recovery ROM] [07-Mar-2010] RA-hero-v1.6.2 - xda-developers
    I've installed flashrec and backed up my ROM

Then when I get to step 7 to boot in to the recovery screen I get a black background with a phone and large triangle with exclamation mark in side it show on the screen.

What have I not done correctly?

5. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member

I think you have to push the recovery image instead of just copying it, but i might be wrong. ccapaso has a thread on here or xda somewhere where it explains the recovery thing in detail.

6. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

itsmoirob is using a GSM hero, not CDMA..should be in a different thread, i believe

7. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

thanks. i have an evo now and totally forgot how to get my hero into recovery.

i am having a weird issue with superuser permissions though. i tried to use ROM manager to reboot into recovery and SU force closed then ROM manager did as well. i havent powered this phone on in months so i dont know if need an updated superuser permissions apk. i am running some version of Fresh (fresh on evo as well ;) )

8. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

Just do it manually by powering on while holding the home key.

9. lukychmz

lukychmz Member

Mine does this too, even with reboot recovery in adb it just boots to a red triangle with an exclamation mark in it

10. stang248

stang248 Member

I got this from another post. Download the ROM Manager App (little clockwork orange gear with a fedora on it) and flash the Clockwork Recovery (first option) and use their recovery. I also gave it superuser permission too.

taylor7667 likes this.