Can't boot into recovery, please help!

1. Afredo

Afredo Member

My Dinc downloaded the 2.2 update automatically today, hit install, phone rebooted and just sat on the HBOOT screen. If i volume down to recovery and hit the power button to select it, the white htc incredible screen flashes quickly and then it goes to the bootloader screen, won't boot into recovery. Please help!

Advertisement
  2. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

Had you previously updated your hboot version?
  3. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

Need more information, was it stock? rooted? if rooted, were you running a custom rom? did you remove built in apps?(i.e. cityid) did you install the leaked 2.05 radio at some point?
  4. Afredo

Afredo Member

Not intentionally no. I think what might have happened is I attempted to root it using the unrevoked3 method (which worked on a previous Dinc I had), but it would'nt work on this one...at the point of the process where it would say "flashing recovery image" on the unrevoked3 window, the phone would just restart itself back into the OS and the process would never finish correctly.
  5. Afredo

Afredo Member

phone was stock; I attempted to root it using unrevoked3 method and it wouldn't finish, when the step came that said "waiting for reboot", phone would reboot and then the step saying "flashing recovery image" would appear, but the phone would continue to reboot back into the OS, not into recovery as its supposed to. tried that several times, couldn't get it to root it so I stopped trying. If i turn the phone off, hold volume down+power and then select "recovery" from the HBOOT menu, it just flashes the "htc incredible" white screen, phone vibrates, and it goes to the "fastboot" screen with options for "reboot bootloader, bootloader, reboot and power down". I can't get into recovery.
  6. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

So you never see the old triangle with ! is that correct? That's where you typically have to press volume up + power button with the stock recovery in order to access the recovery menu.
  7. Afredo

Afredo Member

nope never see the triangle with the ! in it, just goes between the HBOOT and FASTBOOT screens.
  8. dsb9938

dsb9938 Well-Known Member Developer

9. Afredo

Afredo Member

it worked but now when i attempt to boot into recovery to install the manual froyo ota, it says "can't load /cache/recovery" or something like that, and then when I hit "apply sdcard:update.zip" it goes through the file checking like its going to work, and then says "installation aborted" and theres a bunch of error code
  10. Afredo

Afredo Member

here's what it says when i go into recovery:

E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command

-- Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    Installing update...
    assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop"
    , "ro.build.fingerprint.") == "verizon/inc/inc/in
    c:2.1-update1/ERE27/161494:user/release-keys" ||
    file_get.prop("system/build.prop" , "ro.bu
    ild.fingerprint.") == "verizon_wwe/inc/inc/inc:2.
    2/FRF91/231334:user/release-keys"
    E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.
  11. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

Did you actually reroot/reinstall clockworkmod?
  12. Afredo

Afredo Member

nope I just applied the downgrade patch and rebooted the phone, stuck the update.zip on the sd card and tried to run it from recovery and got that error.
  13. dsb9938

See if you can install this (stock recovery):

[Recovery] Stock 2.1 Recovery Image for DI - xda-developers

Dennis
  14. iowabowtech

15. dsb9938

Yeah, easy to forget about, but the one he just did should have flashed recovery too.

Maybe have him run it again? I've had it go through and not work right, then have to re-flash it.

Dennis
  16. iowabowtech

U
    Yeah, I think it might be a worthy idea to change SD card. Format to Fat32 of course and give it a try. Either that or try unrevoked again, maybe on a different machine. Seems like he's been trying the right things. Just got a stubborn phone. lol.
  17. Afredo

Afredo Member

I've run the downgrade update twice, no success with being able to update to froyo after either time, keep getting that same error when trying to run the froyo update from recovery. i'm not trying to root, just trying to get 2.2 cuz I haven't gotten the OTA update yet.
  18. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

19. iowabowtech

I know you're not trying to root but the last I knew from your posts, you couldn't access the stock recovery. And unless I'm not processing your updates correctly since then, flashing the stock image isn't working because if it had worked, you'd have a working recovery to apply zips from.

So the reason I mentioned the possibility of Unrevoked is that you could potentially get a working, custom recovery to update zips from SD and move toward 2.2 in a different fashion.

And either reformatting the card (moving files off first to preserve them) or trying a new card was my other thought as that has worked for other users who have had failed attempts previous to doing it.

Good Luck.
  20. kozzer

kozzer Active Member