Can't Boot Into Recovery

Last Updated:

1. TheNewZackMorris

TheNewZackMorris Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have rooted with Soup or Root and I have superuser permissions. So I am assuming I am rooted properly. I have installed ROM Manager and flashed Clockworkmod Recovery. I have ran a backup that worked properly. However, if I choose to boot into recovery in ROM Manager it doesn't work. The phone reboots and just sits at the triangle with ! and phone screen. I have also tried booting and holding power and X. This method also hangs at the same screen. Any idea what may be going on? Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement
  2. istolvampire

istolvampire Well-Known Member

Try flashing Sprecovery (alternative) from rom manager and then flash Clockwork again. This tends to clear some issues.

3. drowe

drowe Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with ROM Mgr. It would boot to clockworkmod or sprecovery once, then back to stock recovery on the next boot. Switching between the two didn't work. Only when I flashed clockworkmod, flashed a rom on the next boot and it went to clockworkmod and has never gone back.

4. TheNewZackMorris

I flashed SPRecovery and then flashed back to Clockwork. Still didn't work. I then flashed SPRecovery and rebooted and was able to go into recovery mode. However, when I rebooted a second time, recovery mode once again didn't work. Booted back up and flashed Clockwork, and it still doesn't work.

5. p8ntballah21

p8ntballah21 Well-Known Member

I had the same type of issue with the my friends droid, usually switching back and forth would work but it wasn't always reliable. So I deleted RM off his phone and just flashed SP Recovery like I have. It might not be as convenient as Clockwork but its a lot more reliable.

6. drowe

drowe Well-Known Member

That is exactly what I was talking about. Flash any custom ROM on the next boot into recovery and clockwork or sprecovery will work forever.

7. ndoren

ndoren Well-Known Member Contributor

There is a new "feature" in Android 2.2 that will replace your new custom recovery image with the original stock recovery when you reboot. So, you can replace the stock with clockworkmod or SPPrecovery and use that until you reboot, then poof... your stock recovery is mysteriously back in place.

If you want to keep your new custom recovery, you must rename the file /system/recovery-from-boot.p to something else (or delete it). You must be root. That's the script that runs at boot to replace your custom recovery image with the stock image.

Of course, if you immediately replace the stock ROM with a custom one, the problem goes away because the authors of the custom ROMS remove the recovery-from-boot.p program. But if you want to keep (or go back to) the stock ROM, rename that file or the stock ROM will replace your custom recovery with the original stock version when you boot into your stock ROM. Neall

drowe likes this.
  8. TheNewZackMorris

Thanks for the info ndoren. I was able to rename recovery-from-boot.p and flash SPRecovery. I've rebooted several times and the recovery console has worked each time. So I'm guessing I'm good to go now? However, I still can't boot into Clockwork when I flash it. Strange.

9. ndoren

Zack, glad I could be of some help.

Others have had issues installing ClockworkMod, too. If I recall, here are some things you can do. First of all, flash SPRecovery first (which you've done), before installing ClockworkMod. Also, within Rom Manager, hit the menu button and select the option "Clear Download Cache" before trying to install ClockworkMod. Also, many have claimed that some versions of ClockworkMod install/function better than others. So you may want to try an older version when you select your download. It's the bottom item in the program... "All ClockworkMod Recoveries." I don't run the newest version, nor will I bother installing it. What I have works. Some have mentioned having to go through this process a few times before ClockworkMod "stuck." Keep us posted. Neall

TheNewZackMorris likes this.
  10. TheNewZackMorris

Thanks again! This seemed to help. Was able to flash Clockword and boot into recovery. Now just gotta get up the nerve this afternoon to flash my first rom.

11. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Just make sure to do a backup with ROM Manager first. Also once in recovery, do a data and cache partition wipe three times before installing.

12. ndoren

Adding to gwlaw's comments... it's also nice to backup your apps using something like Titanium backup, before installing your new ROM. It gives you a handy way to restore all the apps you had before you changed ROMs. Once nice feature of Titanium is you can change a setting from the menu before you restore apps that puts those apps back to their original locations, either internally or on the SD card, automatically. Neall

13. TheNewZackMorris

Once again, thank you everyone for all the help. I installed bugless beast this afternoon and everything is running fine. No problems thanks to all your help.

Edit: flashed back to stock rom now. too many issues with bugless beast at the moment. at least i know what i'm doing now.