Can't boot into recovery

1. seaniscool1

seaniscool1 New Member

I have tried everything, Last time I did was when I manually updated...This time I am going hard reset because my phone is acting a little weird. It just won't boot into recovery, I can sit there holding x and power at the "M" for 15 min, it wont do anything? I battery pull and boot regular and it boots fine

Advertisement
    :
  2. polakatl

polakatl Member

I just got the same problem. I'm on 2.0.1 with the Droid. I wanted to flash a new recovery from sholes.info. ADB responded with

error writing recovery: No space left on device

after I rebooted I can no longer get into recovery. Phone hangs on the moto logo. Boots into OS fine.
  3. Berry2Droid

Berry2Droid Well-Known Member

try reboot recovery from adb shell?
  4. refriend

refriend New Member

Same situation... same problem.

reboot hangs on "adb reboot recovery" but normal boot works fine.
  5. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Sounds like you recovery partition got overwritten somehow. You will need to install the flash_image binary then flash SPRecovery from a terminal app.

Command would be as so...

su
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.2b.img
    reboot recovery

If that works then your all set, no idea on how to get the original recovery back though except by finding a original droid dump and seeing if it is in there. I wonder if the 2.0.1 update you used had those 2 files missing from system, boot-old or something like that. That could have caused your recovery to be deleted when you rebooted at any time.
    darkjinni2 likes this.
  6. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Just so we're clear...
    - Shut phone OFF
    - Press & Hold 'X' on hardware keybd
    - Press power button
    - As soon as you see the Motorola logo, let go.
    - Recovery console appears

If that doesn't work, you'll have to reflash the recovery image.
  7. refriend

refriend New Member

Aahh. You're right (with a small mod)...

su
    /data/local/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.2b.img
    reboot recovery

Thanks!
  8. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I'm glad that worked, I had guessed you had the file in your sd. Either way glad it is fixed, how about the other guys?
  9. zososon76

zososon76 New Member

when i boot into recovery why are their any options (like to install update.zip) ?!~
  10. clinefsu

clinefsu Member

I too am having an issue when trying to reboot into recovery. After entering the recovery menu I am getting the error

"E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command"

This is a stock Droid with no mods. rooting, or flashing to date. Can anyone help with this??
  11. Dr Saltfish

Dr Saltfish New Member

Where can I download a flash_image binary to install? And as for flashing the SPRecovery, what terminal app do you recommend? I am running 2.2 and rooted, but and getting the same triangle! hang-up when booting into recovery to do a nandroid backup.

Thanks
  12. tatert0t

tatert0t New Member

I am having the same problem. I ran Easy Root on the Droid 2.2 but I cannot get into the reboot into recovery menu. I just get a triangle error message. How do i fix this? Ive tried even doing the factory reset on the phone and nothing works :mad:
  13. ambient711

ambient711 Member

I am having that problem too. will not boot recovery but loads os fine. I just tried to install SPRecovery. I tried what CRPercodani said, No luck though.

Is there anyway to remove SPRecovery without being in Recovery mode?

Thanks
  14. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

If you get the yellow triangle message then press volume down and camera at the same exact time (this can take a few minutes as it has to be at the exact same time). If you are rooted I would install ROM Manager and flash clockwork recovery. Then you can select boot into recovery from the menu inside ROM Manager.
    ambient711 likes this.
  15. ambient711

ambient711 Member

Thanks, Although I cant even get to the triangle. I used to be able to before I installed SPRecovery. I tried a rom manager and it will not put it into recovery it just reboots the phone. I tried holding the buttons down for 5 minutes, do you think it would be much longer than that?
  16. bluemsw

bluemsw Well-Known Member

I had similar problem with my phone using the ROM Manager. (if anyone is using ROM Manager) All I did to fix it was re-flash the clockworkmod recovery. Now I can manually get in to recovery on power up.
    Durania likes this.
  17. bluemsw

bluemsw Well-Known Member

A long period of time will not help, or it didn't help me, try the reflash i suggested. then try it again. Also you can select the "reboot into recovery" in ROM manager and see if it will take you there. Hope this helps.
    ambient711 likes this.
  18. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Did you install clockwork recovery in rom manager?
    ambient711 likes this.
  19. ambient711

ambient711 Member

I tried reboot recovery from terminal, from Clockwork but it didnt seem to work. Im going to try uninstalling the rom manager just to see if it makes a difference. yes I installed the clockwork mod from the rom manager. Ill try reflashing too.
  20. dfine06

dfine06 Well-Known Member

if you just cant boot into but you have a recovery flashed use quickboot from the market. its great.
    ambient711 likes this.
  21. ambient711

ambient711 Member

I tried that, it didnt work it just rebooted normally. I think I may have found the problem.
    I found one of the files that its supposed to use for boot with SPRecovery. And I think the other one is missing. Under "/system/" there is a "recovery-from-boot.old" but isnt there also supposed to be a "recovery-from-boot.p"

Thanks again for the help
  22. rgomez287

rgomez287 New Member

I am also having trouble getting into recovery menu. I hold x and power and it just hangs at the M logo. It will boot into OS just fine. I backed up with rommanager and downloaded the clockwork through it as well. I clicked on rester as well as wipe and clean. It does nothing. Just hangs on the logo as well, then reboots into the OS. Is there anyway to fix this? I would appreciate any help.
  23. teddyearp

teddyearp A guide with guides Guide

Sorry for a delay, but since your phone will boot up normally, open rom manager and then go here:
    Code (Text):
    1. menu -> Clear Download Cache
    then:
    Code (Text):
    1. menu -> settings -> Advanced Mode [check]
    then go towards the bottom of the main screen in Rom Manager and under "more Recoveries" select "Flash Alternate Recovery". After it completes then go back to the top and flash CWRecovery again and see if it will take.

good luck
    nbajam, bluevine and Myco like this.
  24. Myco

Myco Active Member

I've never been able to flash alternate recovery in ROM Manager. Tried these and "An error occurred while flashing your recovery" comes up. ROM mgr also reboots into stock recovery. Hope this helps, looks like a lot of us have the same prob.
  25. teddyearp

teddyearp A guide with guides Guide

With the increase of these types of problems, I can only wonder if the 'alternate' recovery is no longer available through the servers that rom manager accesses at this time.

For what it's worth, I wrote an email to koush the other day, but haven't gotten a reply:
    Myco likes this.