Can't browse or update apps when connected to the mobile network on 3

Last Updated:

1. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The last couple of days I've noticed I can't browse or update apps like Android Facebook, Android Twitter and Google Mail and can't browse the Market when I'm connected to the mobile network on 3. This happens even when the notification tray has the H or G symbol and up- and downstream icons are animating. I've checked through the Mobile Network settings and can't see that I've changed anything by accident. The strange thing is the Friend Stream updates when I'm connected to the mobile network.

Does anybody know what I might be missing?

Advertisement
  2. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Did you change to gmail by chance? If so, change back

oldnick likes this.
  3. mjpartyboy

I entered my Gmail account when the phone went through its initial set up. All of the aforementioned apps and all other ones work fine when connected to Wi-Fi, but not when connected to the mobile network.

Edit: The mobile network was working until yesterday.

4. mjpartyboy

These are the details that are already in the phone:

Name: 3 Services
    APN: three.co.uk
    MCC: 234
    MNC: 20
    APN Type: default

I get "server failed to communicate" when I try browsing.

Facebook Android says "An error had occurred while fetching data. [The connection was reset]"

Twitter Android timesout.

Market says "A network error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen."

Connect to Wi-Fi and everything works fine.

5. tanbe174

tanbe174 Well-Known Member

You might look on the internet for a 3 APN.

6. tanbe174

tanbe174 Well-Known Member

are you on a contract or payasugo ? I think they have different APN's

7. mjpartyboy

The details in my phone match those I've seen in another thread on here.

Contract.

Basically my smartphone isn't smart unless I'm connected to a Wi-Fi network at the moment.

8. mjpartyboy

I've gone through 3's troubleshooter and it advises to use details that match the ones that are already in the phone. I followed some other steps that say to set http://mobile.three.co.uk/hb/hutchkey as the homepage and when I do this I can access this site, but still can't browse any other sites or do anything over the mobile network.

9. Bright Spark

Bright Spark Member

Same details as mine but mine is working okay.

10. mjpartyboy

I checked My3 and internet is enabled and set to local only. I changed it to local and international, but it still didn't work.

11. oldnick

oldnick Well-Known Member

This worked for me on Orange. All working again now. Thanks

12. mjpartyboy

At the risk of sounding stupid, I don't understand what you mean by did I change to gmail, if so change back?

13. oldnick

oldnick Well-Known Member

gmail vs googlemail - I had a notice from Google asking if I wanted to change my email address from @googlemail to just @gmail (see settings in Google). Having changed to @gmail the I found I could not download from the market on my Desire. Changed back to @googlemail, now all is fine. Hope this helps.

14. mjpartyboy

I see. I only created my Gmail account recently and it defaulted to being Gmail and not Googlemail.

The problem I've got is nothing works online when connected to the mobile network, except 3's own mobile network optimised site. No apps update, can't browse Market, browsing doesn't work, nothing. Connect to Wi-Fi and it all works fine.

The only other thing I can think to try is a factory reset and set it all up again.

15. prav

prav Member

If you haven't already, I'd call 3's tech support first to make sure it's nothing to do with your account or some problem on their end. Just in case you otherwise reset your phone and spend ages setting it up again to find out that wasn't the issue :)

16. mjpartyboy

I've just disabled auto and background syncing and the Friend Stream and official Twitter apps arw working with a manual sync, but Facebook Android and browsing still don't work and nor does the Market, even with background syncing enabled which it prompts it needs.

17. Rew

Rew Well-Known Member

Do you have a 3G signal were you are or are you roaming on to 2G?

18. mjpartyboy

It doesn't work whether it's displaying H or G in the tray.

I did a hard reset and it still doesn't work.

19. mjpartyboy

I phoned 3's technical support today and they took me through all the steps I've already checked and tried, including a factory reset, and I still can't use any online functionality apart from being able to browse to 3's mobile site (Mobile phones, Mobile Broadband & SIMs from 3). They've asked me to try an alternate 3 SIM card in my phone, but I don't know anybody who's with them, and to try my SIM in my old phone and see if it will connect to websites. They confirmed my account is set up correctly at their end. They're going to call me back later, so we'll see where we go from there.

20. mjpartyboy

3 did phone me back and browsing with my SIM in my old phone also didn't work. They then said they've received a few calls about this and have escalated it to the tech support team and will call me back tomorrow. Hopefully this will get resolved quickly so I can use the features of this phone on the go.

21. mjpartyboy

It's still not working today. Surely if this was more of a widespread problem with 3's mobile network I would see more things about it across the web.

I'm very impressed with the iPhone 4, so if 3 don't sort this currently not-fit-for-purpose phone, then I'll be returning it and will seriously consider getting the iPhone 4.

22. mjpartyboy

3 called me back again this afternoon and because it's still not working they're sending me a new handset on Thursday in exhange for the old one. Hopefully this one will work.

23. mjpartyboy

My new Desire arrived today and the first thing I've noticed is the void sticker hadn't been broken and the charger is different (it's not a rectangle with the plug sliding in at one end, it's small and glossy and clips onto the plug). I'm about to boot the phone up for the first time and hopefully the mobile network will work this time

24. flapper

flapper Member

Just started having the exact same issues you described today. Will be giving customer service a call shortly.. :(

25. mjpartyboy

I was interested to see that when I booted up the phone and checked the software it already had the latest HTC OTA update on it.

As I expected I still can't browse or update any apps over the mobile network with the replacement phone. I will visit my local 3 store on Saturday and see what they say. It has to be something related to my account or SIM card, despite my 3 account saying I've got data usage and 3 telling me my account is set up correctly.