Cant change bottom 4 iconsSupport

Last Updated:

1. psychocandy

psychocandy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Go into applications and edit (like it says). But then it doesnt allow me to drag one of the bottom 4 icons.

Any ideas?

I'm on Orange in the UK BTW. Just wondering if its a special version with this disabled.

Advertisement
  2. stockfeed

stockfeed Member

just drop what you want onto it and it will replace it automatically. dont need to make room first.

3. zmartfone

zmartfone Member

After pressing edit you have to hold the icon that you want to remove from the bottom 4 icons and drag it away so that you have space for the other icon you wanna put

4. retrorobert

retrorobert New Member

Note: it doesn't work on the "home" screen, you have to be in 'application' mode for this to work.

Application > Setting Key > Edit > Press and hold the icon you want to move to the bottom of the screen.

Hope this helps...

faz1964 and Donnelly like this.
  5. Lol mahmood

Lol mahmood Well-Known Member

Or you just install Launcher Pro and customise away 'til you can't customise any more...

6. goughy

goughy Well-Known Member

Gotta say I'm enjoying laucher pro. I used mobile shell on my omnia so I like the extra little bit of customisation.

7. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

By one of the bottom icons, do you mean the right most one with the home logo on it?

That's the app/home switcher. They locked it so that you can't remove it by mistake. Otherwise how else are you going to enter the app menu. Unfortunately this also mean you can't change it's position.

8. JDuc

JDuc Well-Known Member

@snapper.fishes - so what you're saying is if we wanted to change out the messaging icon to one for say handcent, we're sol?

9. jollygoon

jollygoon Well-Known Member

Nope he (she? :D) is only talking about the app drawer one. You can interchange the other 3 but not that one.

10. JDuc

JDuc Well-Known Member

maybe I'm just dense then, but I can't figure out how to change it out...lol

11. jollygoon

Go to the app drawer, make sure it's in the grid view. Then press the menu button and select edit. You will now see a half frame on the top and left side of each app icon. Now all you got to do is long press the app you want (i.e. Handcent) and drop it on the app you want to replace it with (i.e. Messaging)

Hopefully my instructions are intelligible. :D

JDuc likes this.
  12. JDuc

JDuc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the instructions, only I'm failing somewhere....

by App drawer, I'm assuming that you mean, just pressing the Application button that's down on the bottom right hand corner? If so, when I do that, it takes me to the applications I have installed on my phone and I'm in grid view. When I press the menu button, the only option it gives me is to go to list view...

I'm sure I'm just missing a step somewhere, or just not going to the right place to begin with...:(

EDIT: So I decided to go on YouTube to look for a video for this...and I'm doing everything right according to this video: YouTube - How to change the tray icons on the Samsung Galaxy S launcher. Captivate, Fascinate, Vibrant, Epic.

Only I cannot get how to get the 'View Type' option to come up!? The only option I have is either 'List view' or 'Grid View'...

So the question is really, how to get the 'View Type' option screen to come up?

Who know something like this could be so complicated?!

13. jollygoon

Hmmmm.. I just noticed that you have an epic 4g, maybe your carrier made a couple of changes here. I have the international one (i9000) do maybe that's why the option are different.
    Why don't you try what lol mahmood said and try out launcherpro? it's an app from the market that replaces the stock touchwiz launcher, I use the plus version and the widgets are totally worth the money. The customisation options are only limited by your imagination! Actually that's a but of an exaggeration. :D

14. JDuc

JDuc Well-Known Member

Yes, I noticed this too. Galaxy S v. Epic 4g might be where the difference is.

I'm off to the Epic 4g forum now. Thanks for the help!