• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't change default notification sound

Since the information provided in post 1 was basic, I can only answer at that same level

No need to insinuate, sir.
I was just providing the information I had.
Forgive me for being unaware that there's much more to it. :)

However--
I greatly appreciate your help here.
I had no idea of these "basic" things.
I'm looking into app-specific settings now.

Thanks...

EDIT: Well there ya have it.
I don't know why, but I somehow thought the seemingly global setting in the main Sound Settings would effect everything. Learn somethin' every day. lol

Thanks again, SUroot.

Upvote 0
No probs.

My issue mainly is "can't". Means nothing. You "can't" change notifications if you have no hands or arms. Or if you're dead.

I can pretty much rule those out but anything else is fair game....

Its just a case of being descriptive.

Instead of "can't" perhaps it was "I set the notifications but its a different one that plays"....

Or " I set it but when I check back it reverted to the old one"...

It'll come to you :)

Upvote 0
LMAO

I get ya. :)

I chose the thread titled cause I thought others might find it easier in a search.
Tried to use the most common wording.

But I did kinda failed to explain many details. Kinda posted in a hurry before heading out the door. I should've put that I could literally change the setting in Sound options, the change appeared to take in the settings, but effectively the default tone was still what I'd hear when I recieved a message.

Thankfully, I was actually stuck with a "basic level" problem. lol

A thought:
Why isn't the Messaging app set to use the "Default" tone, rather than the same tone that is set as default by... default.

Kinda an oxymoron, eh?

Anyway-- I'll just have to remember to manually set the apps ring to the "use default" seting whenever I reset/flash my GS3. :)

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm bumping this, hopefully someone responds because I am fed up. I go to the email app itself, settings, sound, change it to Chirps, the phone plays the sound, I back out of the app however I am still stuck with Postman. Can someone tell me in reasonable layman's terms how to fix this problem?
Hi, have you tried going into "Settings", scroll down to "Email", open it up and select "Settings", then "General Preferences", scroll down to "Select Ringtone", then set it from there. Apologies if you have already tried this, but it's all I can find. Phil

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones