Can't change wallpapers!Support

Last Updated:

1. Lurch

Lurch Member This Topic's Starter

OK, so everything was working fine earlier, I could change to whatever wallpaper I wanted, static or live. Now the wallpaper will only change when I choose a live wallpaper. If I choose a static image as my wallpaper, the wallpaper changes to an image that looks like the HTC Sense live wallpaper, only it doesn't move. Any ideas on what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. lopezpm

lopezpm Well-Known Member

A simple reboot usually fixes problems like this. I had it happen on my Hero where it wouldn't let me change wallpapers.

3. Lurch

Lurch Member This Topic's Starter

That did the trick. Honestly, I should have tried that before posting. Thanks for the help!

4. shandroid

shandroid Well-Known Member

I really am curious to the problem here, mine did it I rebooted lastnight and today it's stuck on HTC sense 1st wallpaper option, only live wallpaper is working.

Anyone else?

5. shandroid

Anybody? Even a remote direction to where I can get this fixed? Reboot doesn't work, is something corrupt on my SD card? I can read/view all images just fine, soooo strange.

Someone HELP!

Please :D

6. shandroid

Someone else has to either have an idea here or had this happen to them also.

7. shandroid

Bump for help

8. sitlet

sitlet Banned

ENOUGH bumping! If someone knows an answer, they will post it. Obviously nobody has had that problem, so calm down. Try a hard reset, I can almost guarantee that will solve the problem

9. shandroid

bump :D 3 resets same result w/in 24 hours.

edit: update seems to have fixed it.

10. rednaxelanhoj

rednaxelanhoj Member

What update fixed this for you? I'm having the issue and it seems to be getting worse. Hard reset works but is pretty annoying to have to do so often. - 2.1

11. shandroid

it did it after the update.....

My new fix is to just simply power cycle the phone, it is still very annoying, as I don't know a permanent fix......

12. RaiseUp151z

RaiseUp151z Well-Known Member

try some other wallpaper app like Flikie Wallpaper....

13. shandroid

Wallpaper apps did nothing for me, but so far so good since power cycle yesterday.

14. DroidGnome

DroidGnome Well-Known Member

Same problem here.. I was perfectly fine a few days ago, never had a problem all month.

I don't know if it was the new EVO OTA that did it, or some app I installed.. going to start 'uninstalling' anything that might have wallpaper access.

15. haimleead

haimleead New Member

I have the same problem any help will be appreciated

16. shandroid

Power cycle is the only temp fix I found

17. DroidGnome

I've had mixed success with just killing inactive apps... I THINK the issue is some problem with memory.. many times I've noticed when the problem happens if I switch to ADB launcher it looks fine.. it's only sense that has a problem.

18. ZNA03

ZNA03 Well-Known Member

Yeah... power cycling... gay...

19. verngator

verngator Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem, but I can't tell whether this started happening before or after I installed Zedge. Power cycling hasn't worked for me.

I'm going to uninstall Zedge, reboot, then try it again to see if it works.

I've re-selected the wallpaper over and over - I'm trying to get rid of the Live Wallpaper with the clouds, but it keeps coming back.

Maybe I'll go ahead and root sooner rather than later...

20. shandroid

Happened to me on launcher pro, when it does i can pick any live wallpaper, hasn't happened lately though just half way as my unlock screen shows default htc wallpaper

21. jws

jws Member

once i switched to launcher pro, if i go to menu->wallpaper -> select the one i want, it will say wallpaper changed, but nothing happens...

my stupid work around is to navigate to the wallpaper i want (i use astro file manager), open it with gallery, menu -> setas wallpaper. this change sticks for me.

22. mrfunktastic

mrfunktastic New Member

Most of us went out and tried all the other launchers and their themes and stuff, right? I'm having problem too, and I noticed ADW launcher has an add-on theme called Senses, which may be where that Sense-like background is originating.

I got rid of ADW launcher and all the themes and so far so good.

23. DroidGnome

Good thought, but I just checked my ADW.. and I didn't install any themes. In fact I don't use ADW at all really (though it's installed). I'm still 'using' the HTC Sense as my Home, with PowerStrip as a home app helper.

I have tried enabling/disabling various apps over the last few weeks trying to see if I can narrow things down.. and I might also be onto something.

I noticed that my wallpaper would tend to be 'frozen' sometime during the night, because it was frozen when I woke up almost every morning. I also realized I used my phone as an Alarm clock and so have disabled the alarms for the last 3 days... so far , not a single wallpaper lockup, and I've even re-enabled the wallpaper switcher app which changes it automatically every 30 minutes.

I don't think it was the clock itself locking the wallpaper but rather perhaps some sort of memory error after the timer has been running a long time (say ohh 24 hours+). I seem to recall other issues with the alarm and people claiming alarms weren't going off, so that's what made me think to turn it off.

I'm not ready to say I fixed my unit just yet... but if it doesn't freeze in another few days then I'll have gone a full week without rebooting and freezing.

UPDATE: 8-3-2010
    *sigh* no go. Leaving the clock off was just a placebo it seems. Still gets stuck. Also was installing a few more apps the other day to mess with and noticed it's getting stuck MUCH more often. I've since removed them all except Pure Messenger and still is getting stuck almost 2-3x per day now. Reboot is the ONLY fool-proof way to fix. (Switching Scenes worked for a few tries.. now no longer).

I'm wondering if perhaps the HTC Sense has a problem if say a wallpaper tries to switch when a data connection tries to sync up? Dunno.. just grasping at straws. Hoping the 2.2 update will clean this up for good..

One strange thing.. when it happens I CAN Switch to a Live wallpaper just fine.. but any static image reverts to the Sense circles :(

24. DroidGnome

Does not work for me.. says it switched of course.. but no go.

Other things that only work 'sometimes'
    1) Switching to another Launcher and Back (Such as ADW and back to HTC Sense)
    2) Switching "Scenes" and back
    3) Manually setting wallpaper via Wallpaper button, though this rarely works.

So far as stated above the only thing that works 100% is to power cycle the phone.. something which is really a pain to bother with.

25. shandroid

I have a hunch it is since related. But if I try the astro work around, I get force close infinite loop forcing a power cycle, anyone find a fix with froyo?