Can't Charge in Car, known issue or fluke?

Last Updated:

1. decimatormars

decimatormars New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, new here and tried to look for information pertaining to my question. It may still be somewhere in here, but I was unable to find it.

My Motorola Cliq on 1.6(don't get me started on 2.1) does not seem to want to charge via a usb car charger. I am using the usb cord that came with the phone and have tried using Griffin's itrip auto universal fm transmitter and charger (5 V DC @ 1 amp) and a cheapy usb car charger that I am not even sure of the origins. My sister's iphone 3GS charges on both of these, so power doesn't seem like the culprit.

I had first tried the one of unkown origin a while back and the phone had the charge symbol on it when I first connected it, after getting to my destination I realized that my phone had not been charging and there was no longer a symbol. multiple reconnection attempts never produced the charging symbol again Gave this one to my sister once I saw that her iphone charges from it fine.

I just purchased the Griffin product for the fm transmittor mostly, but hoped that charger might have better luck, still nothing as well, once again tested the iphone, worked fine.

Though with both chargers my phone will beep and the screen will light up when plugged in, and will do the same when unplugged. Even though it seems to respond there is no charge symbol and under status it will still say discharging. While on plugged in through computer or through ac adapter the status will say usb and ac respectivly.

Tried factory reset and taking out the battery just to exhaust more options to no avail.

So does any one have any idea what might be going on that is preventing my phone from charging in the car? Are andriod phones pickier about car chargers then iphones? Is this a cliq problem?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

The only time I had an issue with the car charger is when I ended up blowing the fuse. The mechanic said that I must have put the charger in a little bit wrong and as such it blew the fuse. He also said that we had two ports for car chargers in the car - near the ash tray and one off the side - and that the ash tray one isn't meant for the car chargers (only for cig lighter).

I haven't had an issue since...

Can you use the Griffin fm transmitter as a transmitter though? Could be a faulty Griffin product too?

3. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

It might be the phone. But not because its broken.

My Razr had the same problem, and would only charge off certain chargers. Try finding one made for a razr and try that out. It could be a Motorola thing.

4. decimatormars

decimatormars New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the replies, @Megs the fm transmitter works fine and as I said in my post it charges my sister iphone with no issues.

@Demache sounds like one more thing needing to be tested, probably see if I can't get a hold of some more android users irl and test their phones

5. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

@decimatormars: Sorry didn't see that. Figured it was another charger for the iPhone. My bad.

The other option would be to head to Futureshop (or the *insert country here*'s equivalent) and grab a charger to see if that works instead - you should be able to return it within so many days if it doesn't work anyways. If that one works and the Griffin one doesn't it could just be that charger doesn't like working with the Cliq. Much like Demache said.

Might be that Motorola products are spastic over what kinds of chargers they like....