• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't connect phone to computer

blissfulbabe

Nov 25, 2009
I have solved the problem of the phone not connecting to the computer! Just needed to buy a new DCU 100 cable for the darn thing!:eek::eek::eek:

Big thanks to Toecutter who was very patient with both my lack of knowledge and of patience!

Hi

I'm looking for some help in connecting my Hero to my computer. I haven't has problems until today but now I can't get the darn phone to connect. I have tried my work computer (Windows XP) and my home computer (Vista) and I have also tried four different usb cables, including the HTC one. I have also done a factory reset, taking the battery out and anything else I can think of including reinstalling the drivers & HTC sync

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it - I need to be able to sync my phone to my calendar for work. Oh, by the way - I am not in the slightest way technically competant!

I had this issue until I realised that Windows update had installed drivers relating to the HTC Dream. This meant that my Hero wasn't automatically recognised by the PC any more. My resolution was as follows:

Uninstall the HTC device from device manager.
Tell device manager to search for new devices.
Let the device install.
Run Windows update.
When it reports that there is an optional update for HTC Dream, right-click on the update and hide it (be careful not to select it or it will install again).

Try that and see if it works - it did for me.

Reactions: blissfulbabe
Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion - the problem doesn't seem to be my computer but the phone. When I connect to the computer I don't get the usb logo in the notification bar, it's as if the phone doesn't have a usb cable attached but it does as the charge light comes on. I have tried different cables and both a laptop and a PC but no luck.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Upvote 0
One more thing to check:

In Device Manager, is there any indicator character (for example, a yellow exclamation mark) next to your device's entry?

The entry should read: "Android USB Devices" and the sub-entry should be something like: "My HTC". Both of these should be clear of any indicator marks.

Also (and bear with me here, I use Win7 and I'm struggling to remember how XP handles this) does your device show up at all in "Devices and Printers" (or whatever XP provides for that)?

Upvote 0
One more thing to check:

In Device Manager, is there any indicator character (for example, a yellow exclamation mark) next to your device's entry?

The entry should read: "Android USB Devices" and the sub-entry should be something like: "My HTC". Both of these should be clear of any indicator marks.

Also (and bear with me here, I use Win7 and I'm struggling to remember how XP handles this) does your device show up at all in "Devices and Printers" (or whatever XP provides for that)?

None of the above - it only says 'unknown device' in the USB controller section. Emailed HTC, explaining the problem and what I have tried so far, and got a lovely email back telling me to do it all over again!:mad:

Upvote 0
I know. It can get frustrating.

Try it anyway, right-click on the device, select 'Uninstall' and then right-click at the top of the device tree (the name of your PC) and select 'Scan for hardware changes'.

When the PC finds your device, tell it to search the web for drivers.

I appreciate that you have probably done all this already but I wanted to make sure you had explored all the avenues, as it were. If you have already tried this unsuccessfully, please accept my apologies for further irritating you. :p

Let us know how it pans out anyway.

Upvote 0
Actually, I really appreciate the help.

Have uninstalled etc etc but no joy. My colleague can connect his Hero so I am thinking it's a phone rather than software issue. I love my Hero when it works but think I might be reduced to giving it a stern talking to when I get home (in case people in the office think I'm mad - although they have heard me pleading with the darn phone to work!)

Upvote 0
On every computer I normally use the phone on! I have also unistalled and reinstalled the drivers and done (several) factory reset on the phone. Am waiting for a response from HTC but think I'll probably have to send the phone off for repair.

Had the same problem with my Tattoo and had to send it to HTC for repair, and they still have it nearly a week on !:mad:

Upvote 0
I have made a little progress - I have managed to get device manager to display Android USB devices and My HTC (which has a yellow triangle) but still no joy in getting the computer to recognise the phone. I have updated the driver but when I do this:
Uninstall the HTC device from device manager.
Tell device manager to search for new devices.
Let the device install.
Run Windows update.
When it reports that there is an optional update for HTC Dream, right-click on the update and hide it (be careful not to select it or it will install again).

Try that and see if it works - it did for me.

the computer just sees the phone as an unknown device.

The most frustrating thing is that the phone had an update OTA last night and when I attached it to the computer the USB sign came up a couple of times but only for a few seconds. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help, otherwise it's back to TMobile with the phone :(

Upvote 0
Thanks for this TC - have done this a couple of times already (unistalled the device, deleted the drivers and HTC Sync off the computer, shut down the computer and then reloaded and reinstalled everything from the HTC site) but it doesn't matter whether the drivers are installed or not - the computer just tells me it's an unknown device. Have decided I have spent enough time on this blinking phone - it's going to be a gorgeous day tomorrow so am going to spend the day in the garden and off to TMobile on Monday.

Upvote 0
Fair enough. :)

Here's a couple more things to check though, when the weather turns on us again:

Check that the cable you're using is the one supplied with your Hero (I have no idea why but it seems that using generic USB cables doesn't always work - probably some impedance thing).

Uninstall HTC Sync and and the device drivers (make sure to delete it again) download the latest version of Sync with the driver from their website and install it all again (I know but I'm clutching at straws for you here).

Upvote 0
Having the exact same problem as yourself and carried out the numerous "fixes" all to no avail. Email HTC and got this reply today:

"Thank you for contacting us. In regards to the sync issue, I can help you with that. If you have tried all the steps from the previous email, the following suggestion will be either a hard reset or the posibility to use a different pc. Plase, come back to us if you need further assistance. We are sorry to hear that you are having problems with your device; you may try to fix it performing a hard reset: 1. With the device turned off, (remove and re-insert battery) press and hold the HOME and POWER buttons until the yellow Triangle is displayed (this can take 15-20 seconds, continue to hold both buttons 2. When the Yellow Triangle is displayed, release the HOME and POWER Keys 3. Hold the HOME key, with this held down press and release the POWER key 4. Release the HOME Key, using the Trackball, scroll down to wipe data/factory reset and click the trackball The device has now been reset. I trust that this resolves your query, please do not hesitate to contact us again if required."

I haven't tried it yet as needing to do back ups first of some stuff.

Upvote 0
Tried that as well, basically done everything next step if this doesn't work is to throw it out the window... :mad:

Well guess what - my phone is wizzing through the air as we speak. Only kidding.

Called Tmobile and they are replacing the phone as it sounds like the phone is faulty ....yea ha.

So on to Hero No3 - we'll see how we get on with this one.

DD

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones