• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't connect smartphone to PC

D

Deleted User

I feel like I tried everything I can find online. Nothing works at all. The USB cord appears to work fine because my phone does charge but it doesn't do anything else. I can't have access to my files like phones or videos that's stored on my phone and get them through my PC. I saw something about a storage device. How do I know if there's one on my phone or how do I get it? I've done this before once on my computer and everything was fine. All I did was connect the phone to the PC with the cord and I was able to find my pics and everything through my PC from the phone. I just don't understand why I can't this time. The only thing I can think of is to download drivers but I didn't have to do that before.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone.

Because nothing stays undamaged forever. You could just borrow a known working data cable (say some other friend with a Samsung perhaps) and see if it works for you. Won't take 3min. That way we can eliminate the cable as the problem. It's also potentially the easiest to fix. Not so if the one with problems is the PC.

Reactions: mikedt and AZgl1500
Upvote 0
... The only thing I can think of is to download drivers but I didn't have to do that before. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone.

Search the interweb for the latest Samsung ADB drivers, install them and try again. But also try different cables and different USB ports.

To illustrate the USB cable issues you may have I've just gone through 2 'issues'. Firstly, my S4 wasn't charging at full rate from the Samsung supplied charger even with the OEM cable. Tried different cables and still not charging. Did some research and ordered Ultric cables via Amazon which do allow the S4 to charge at full rate. The second issue was a SATA caddy I had (USB2 variety - dead cheap) that came with a cable. Worked fine on a USB2 connection but not when I plugged it into a USB3 connection. Had to replace the stock cable with a higher quality cable I had.

So, cables, a pain in the a53e! But I bet your problem is the ADB drivers.

Dave

Upvote 0
Interesting, my idea is experimental, but might work:

Perhaps you could try enabling USB Debugging mode on your android device. You can do this by going to setting > About Device > Scroll to bottom > tap build number about 6 times > go back to main settings menu > Developer options > scroll down until you see USB debugging mode > Click to enable and then plug device back in.

Fell free to contact me anytime for further help! Hope it helped!

Upvote 0
Why would I get another USB cable if I was able to access data on my PC through my phone before? This is the very same cable that I used before when it was working out fine. Now I can't access data with the same cable as before.

Without being totally obtuse about it, it was implied for the Same Exact Reasons everyone else has pointed out to you.
The cable you have is most likely bad now.... you can't see inside of it, it don't work, so get a good cable and get on with life.

Now, it works like it should, or you have other problems unrelated to the cable.

When doing Troubleshooting, you have to Divide and Conquer, and you can't do that until you have a Proven Good Cable... and that is NOT the cable you have now.

Upvote 0
This is the very same cable that I used before when it was working out fine.

You didn't say that. Hence the confusion.

What else have you changed and not told people about?

As everyone else says, the first thing to do when you hit something Like this is to TRY ANOTHER CABLE.

I have a raft of micro-USB cables lying around. I keep muddling them up. One day I will remember to colour code them in some way so that I don't try to send data down a power-only cable.

Upvote 0
I have had this exact same problem, Xperia M. Things were great for ages, then suddenly stopped working. The contacts on the micro part of the cable do get worn, and sometimes in the damp (rain on bag) corrosion can build up.

As others suggested get another cable.

In cast of lint build up; simple check: you should be able to plug your cable into your phone, and the lock spokes on the micro end should be able to hold the weight of your phone. If the cable slips out, de-link the socket, try again, if not get another cable - they are not expensive.

Sometimes the springs holding out the connector sprockets wear out.
In my experience a cable lasts about a year, then replace.

Upvote 0
I think Developer option not activate

1. Go to “Settings” and tap on “About phone”.
  2. Now, tap on “Software information” and you will find the option of “Build number” there.
  3. Tap on “Build number” option 7 or 9 times and the developer options will be enabled.
Thanks
I already did say about Developer Options, bit thanks anyway for the further comment.

Upvote 0
On newer versions of android when you plug in, it defaults to charging mode rather than file transfer mode. In this case, you have to pull down notification shade, tap the notification, and select usb file transfer (mtp I think) in order for pc to see your phone files.

Edit - most likely doesn't apply to older android versions on S3

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones