cant connect to house internet after root

1. snake11eyes

snake11eyes Well-Known Member

i got root. am using the tethering then disconnect and try to connect back to my home internet again and it wont connect. It sees the network it just wont let me connect. why can someone help me thanks

Advertisement
  2. snake11eyes

The only laptop that doesnt work is the one I was using to root the phone and using wireless tethering. The other 3 laptops all work fine.
  3. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Open network connections, find your connection, right click and either connect or repair? Just thinking of the easy stuff first. What kinda laptop is it. Have you rebooted it already?
  4. snake11eyes

Its a dell inspiron 1720. I already tried the easy things connect, repair, and reboot. Is there anything else.thanks
  5. iowabowtech

Yep. Fn+F2 buttons, press at the same time.
  6. snake11eyes

I pressed them together and one at a time on every screen no luck. what is that supposed to do.
  7. iowabowtech

On a Dell, that will restart the internal wireless card if it shuts down for some reason. Happens to mine from time to time particularly when getting certain updates or using the command prompt.

You were using the Fn key located just left of the spacebar right? Nothing has to be open at the time.

Anyway, may be something else.
  8. snake11eyes

Yea I was using that fn to the left of spacebar. Do I have to restart after that. I'll try it anyway. Thanks for your help any other ideas.
  9. iowabowtech

No you don't have to restart, it turns wireless off/on right away. I guess yours could be a key other than F2. Mine has a pic of what looks like a radio antenna on it. So Fn(function) + F2 is my combo.

Must be something a little more involved than the obvious. Maybe reset the router just for kicks. I'm surprised other computers could still use it though if that were the culprit.

Maybe try re-entering the wep key also if you have it secured.
    snake11eyes likes this.
  10. iowabowtech

Heck I just read in one place that there's an on/off switch on the side of the laptop for the wireless for the 1720???

See anything like that on yours?
  11. snake11eyes

None of my f keys have a radio antenna on them. I pushed fn with all of them. didnt work. I went into settings and re-entered the wep and that didnt do it. I'll try the router but I dont think thats it. i dont have any other options.
  12. iowabowtech

Look 2 posts up, I snuck one in on you. I really think it's the wireless card with the other computers working on the network.
  13. snake11eyes

Yea there is a switch there never knew that. I switched it off and it turned off all wireless. switched it back on and everything came back on. try to connect. still doesnt work.
  14. iowabowtech

Ok, last of the easy ideas I have and you've probably already checked this but...when you open Internet Explorer and click File, you didn't accidentally select the dreaded "work offline" by chance?
  15. snake11eyes

Yea I checked that already. This stinks I have my phone rooted and cant do anything with it because Im stuck on this.
  16. iowabowtech

Ok man, well I'm putting my money on the wireless card in your Dell. Try this, it's one of the only things I like about Dell anymore, they have a really nice tool to show you exactly what hardware you have in your machine and easy to get drivers. Use your service tag or model, it's quick and easy:

Dell - Drivers and Downloads

If it were me, I'd get the latest drivers for the network adapter, install them and give it another shot. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  17. snake11eyes

Im downloading the new drivers now. Ill give it a try. What about htc sync I thought I remember something about uninstalling that.
  18. iowabowtech

That won't affect your wireless home network and/or that laptop.
  19. snake11eyes

I hooked up an ethernet cable and Im right on no problem. Not sure what that proves other than it has to be the wireless card. New drivers did nothing. If you think of anything else Ill be checking this thread. thanks again
  20. ADR6300

ADR6300 New Member

When i rooted i did the wireless n and tested it by changing my wire less router to n. My laptop does not support n. So after returning it back to mixed my laptop would not connect it would teather to my phone and i could connect to other routers but not mine i had to reset my router for it to connect again
    snake11eyes likes this.
  21. snake11eyes

I got sidetracked and forgot the router. really didnt think that was what it was. Going to try it now.
  22. snake11eyes

I cant believe it but that was it. Thanks
  23. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

its always the simple things that we forget