Can't connect to my computer anymore.Support

Last Updated:

1. Duros

Duros Member

I don't know what the hell is going on, and I feel silly for having to ask for help for this type of problem. For some reason my GS2 won't connect to my computer anymore to transfer files. I've already tried checking and unchecking usb debugging and restarting everything. When debugging is unchecked, all I see is "mtp connected" on my phone. But the computer doesn't detect it. When it's checked, nothing happens at all. This just happened one day out of nowhere, not long after it was working just fine.

Also, is there any way to get the battery to charge faster? Damn thing takes forever even when no apps are running.

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

If you still want to connect via MTP, just try a different USB port. That will usually clear it up. Otherwise before you plug in your phone, go to menu>settings>applications>usb utilities and select storage mode.

Using the A/C charger will charge your phone much faster than a USB connection.
  3. Duros

Duros Member

I don't seem to have usb utilities under the applications tab. and I've already tried every usb port on my computer. I'm still googleing the problem. I'm tempted to just do a system reset and see if that helps.

As for charging. I've always been doing it with the wall charger. It always takes 10 minutes to charge 1%.
  4. Duros

Duros Member

I did a factory reset. I tried to re-install the drivers by using kies. It still doesn't connect to my computer via usb. I've tried every port, restarted everything multiple times. I just don't get it. I've never had so many random problems with one gadget until I bought this android piece of trash.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I'm really beginning to hate this phone now.
  5. lunatic59

you might try uninstalling Kies completely and re-installing it from a fresh download.
  6. Duros

Duros Member

It actually was a fresh download. But I'll go ahead and do it again. I also tried hooking it up to my other computer and nothing happened. It didn't even try to install the drivers from the phone. There has to be something simple that I'm missing.

It also doesn't make the connect/disconnect sound on the PC.
  7. lunatic59

Make sure you are using the original USB cable. These phones can be very fussy about cables.
  8. robhs

robhs Well-Known Member

That is very true. I had trouble with three AT&T branded "data" cables. I finally bought a cable from radioshack and have had no trouble since.
    It was expensive, but it was worth it to not to have to deal with the connection headaches.
  9. Duros

Duros Member

I had actually been thinking about that. I have been using the original cable, and I don't get a connection sound on any computer I hook it up to. Which is very odd. I think it might just be that the cable went bad. I just didn't think of it before, because it still charges. I'm going to go buy a new cable and see if it works. Maybe I'll get lucky and my phone will charge faster too.
  10. Duros

Duros Member

Alright. It was the cable after all. The stock cable went to shit. I just bought a new one and everything works again. Thanks for the help. :)
  11. bumwithshoes

bumwithshoes Active Member

My Solution:there's a small tab where cable plugs into phone this gets pressed down over time causing cable to lose connectivity.I used small screw driver to center tab to get firm cable fit and presto connected on first try.Fifteen minutes later I got me some ICS!!!
  12. Duros

Duros Member

Thanks for the input; But I already fixed the problem. It was just a bad USB cable.
  13. mepothier

mepothier New Member

I've had the exact same problem as Duros, BUT the cable change didn't help. I also had a charging problem at the same time. That seems to have been fixed with another charger/cable, but this USB issue is a total mystery. I baby this phone, had it one year, no problem till now. But it's frustrating.
  14. Wayn3t3ch

Wayn3t3ch Member

Somebody help!!! I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 (SGH-I777) AT&T. It will not connect to a mac or a pc. It's running 2.3.5 and i just want to update the firmware. Iv'e been through every forum tried every combination possible and bought 3 different cables and I have gotten nowhere!
  15. lunatic59

Have you downloaded and installed Samsung Kies?
  16. Wayn3t3ch

Wayn3t3ch Member

Yes I have
  17. lunatic59

Okay, a couple of questions.

Did you buy the phone new from AT&T or is it a 2nd hand phone?

Has it been rooted or flashed with custom firmware?

When you plug it it does the phone do anything? Any notification? Does it at least show as charging?

Is USB debugging enabled? If it is, turn it off. I think its under menu>settings>Wireless and Networks (or it could be under developer options) It's been so long since I worked with 2.3 :(
  18. Wayn3t3ch

Wayn3t3ch Member

It hasn't been rooted or flashed and it was bought second hand. It will charge and the phone says the usb is connected. I've tried unchecking usb debbugging and it doesnt do anything :/
  19. lunatic59

Okay, you get usb connected .... when you drag down the notification bar and tap on USB connected, do you get a prompt to connect as storage?

If you want to connect to Kies, you must be in "Kies Mode" If I recall correctly, you can go to menu>settings>applications>usb utilities and select the default mode. I always checked "ask on connection" so I could select how I wanted it to connect at the time of plugging it in.
  20. Wayn3t3ch

Wayn3t3ch Member

It doesn't give me any options to do that
  21. lunatic59

It might be under menu>settings>Wireless & Network>USB Utilities. Samsung kept moving it around between Android Versions.
  22. Wayn3t3ch

Wayn3t3ch Member

Nope, It doesn't give me an option anywhere to change any connection settings. Under usb utilities it just says connect to pc storage
  23. yomgina

yomgina New Member

I had the same problem since more than one month, I tried every thing is written here and it does not work, my phone is GS2 GT-I9100G, Android version 2.3.6 I want to solve this problem in order to update to icecream sandwich.
    Even I tried to update with internet wi-fi but it didn't work and give me a message that No available update.
    Can some body HELP !!!!
  24. surendrasuri

surendrasuri New Member

ive been facing a different prblem its s2 i777 at n t phn..it doesnt indicate ny charging pop ups n alla it charges directly and also the usb doesnt get connect to pc.neither in pc nor in phn i get d notic of usb connected ,,even the light wont get turned on when it is connected to pc.... any body suggest me..
  25. surendrasuri

surendrasuri New Member

ive been facing a different prblem its s2 i777 at n t phn..it doesnt indicate ny charging pop ups n alla it charges directly and also the usb doesnt get connect to pc.neither in pc nor in phn i get d notic of usb connected ,,even the light wont get turned on when it is connected to pc.... any body suggest me..