Can't connect to the Market, Maps don't show upGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Anducks

Anducks Active Member This Topic's Starter

When I try to connect to the Market, it says "A network error has occured." In the notifications bar it has the 3G icon, and I'm able to use the browser without any troubles.

Also, in the Google Maps app that comes with the phone, I don't see any map. I just see a grid with a blue circle with "Your Location" in the center.

I'm was at the Verizon store yesterday because whenever I tried to call someone it said that my phone wasn't authenticated, and when I mentioned these two particular problems, he said that once my phone was authenticated everything should work. Buuuut, it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. jeffyo

jeffyo Well-Known Member

Get a new phone. Tell them it's a lemon and you don't want to make another trip again.

3. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Whoa!

Are you saying that you took it in to the store, showed them the problem, and they said "nothing is wrong with it"? :confused: :mad:

Or maybe they did something to the phone in the store which seemed to correct the voice calling problem?

If the latter is not the case you need both a new phone, and a different person to help you at the VZW store. Don't leave the store until you are satisfied the problem has been solved, you have a new unit, or you have returned your phone.

BTW - the symptoms you described above (Market and Google Maps) are consistent with the "Mobile Network" not being turned on; however, given the problems you've also encountered with voice service - and having a strange version of code loaded on the unit right out of the box, perhaps you would be better served if you just start over with a new phone.

eu1

4. Anducks

They fixed the calling problem (something about an "A key"), and then the guy there said that the map/market problems should go away since the phone was now authenticated, but the map/market problems haven't been fixed yet.

I'll take it back tomorrow, I guess. The thing is, though, my brother got the same phone and his phone has the same problems (with the map/market, not with calling). What (outside of the map/market working) would the indicators that they should work? Because my phone says I'm connected. Is it part of a certain phone plan, such that I could check My Verizon, to see if the map/market is disabled?

In About Phone > Status, Moblie network type is CDMA - EvDo, and under Mobile Network State it says Connected, and I can surf the web with the Browser, with WiFi off, so that makes me think that I certainly am connected to the Mobile Network.

Also, kind of related, when I was syncing my contacts, there was an option at the bottom titled "Install Applications". Does that mean that I can install applications without using the Market? I haven't been able to find anything about that online, but if I can, where would I go to download the application installers?

5. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Edit: oops, i didn't see the part about you being able to browse the web, but not connect through other apps - I think it might be time to have your phone replaced

You would need a data plan to use the "Mobile Network", but not if you are only using a WiFi connection. Certain apps seem to prefer using a data connection only through the "Mobile Network" (cell radio) interface. However, on my phone, both Google Maps and Market work through either WiFi or the Mobile network. I'm not aware of any service plans that exclude you from certain features.

Edit: Hmmm, I just remembered: I was under the impression that "dev phones" can not use the Market - otherwise they could unpack apk's or re-distribute applications outside of the Market. Given that you had a strange ROM on your phone - is it possible that you somehow got a rooted (early ROM) phone?

Settings -> About phone -> Status will show you network state, even if you have the "Mobile Network" turned off.

Instead, do one of two things:

(1)
    Settings -> Wireless controls -> (scroll to bottom); "Mobile network" should be checked.
    For grins, then go into Settings -> Wireless controls -> Mobile network settings and make sure "Data roaming" and "Enable always-on-mobile".

(These last two might not be needed, but I don't know what your local cell network looks like)

-or-

(2) Add the HTC toggle Widget to one of your home pages:
    + -> HTC widget -> Settings -> Mobile network.

(I have a home screen with all of these widgets present - Airplane mode, Bluetooth, GPS, Mobile network, and WiFi)

HTH

eu1

6. Anducks

Unlimited Data plan, so good there. Mobile Network is on, Data Roaming and Enable always-on-mobile are both checked.

Still don't see Maps or Market, the specific error on market is a pop-up that says "A network error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen."

I'll probably be making a trip to the Verizon store tomorrow.

I have absolutely no idea. Any way I can find out?

Edit: I was looking around on My Verizon and under My Services > My Media, I get a little paragraph that says "Get It Now/Media Center is blocked: To retrieve applications, The account owner must first sign in and remove this block from your account. On the Add/Remove Features page under My Plan, unselect the checkbox next to "Block Application Downloads", then click the continue button."

Not sure why this would be blocked, but my brother is the account owner, so I'll ask him to unblock it and perhaps that'll fix the problem.

7. Matlock

Matlock Well-Known Member

Did you download that Leaked OS Update on the web? If so, that may be the centurial cause of the problem. And the only way to correct that I believe, if a hard reboot.

8. Anducks

Nope.

9. Matlock

Matlock Well-Known Member

(Before you wait too long, make sure Verizon will allow you to replace the phone at no chard)

Could be a glich in the software somewhere. Contact Google and HTC and tell them your problem. If they don't help any, try and hard reset. If you feel nothing can be corrected yourself, see about getting a new one. Hopefully no one will give you any lip about it.

10. redone4x4

redone4x4 New Member

I am having the same problem, only with the market though. I can search the web sometimes, and can always access my email. is there a solution for this?

EDIT: I turned wi-fi off and it seems to be working alright now.