• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't connect to wifi

WalwRafii

Lurker
Jun 5, 2016
Bought a Phillips AndroidTv yesterday - don't even know what model tbh, I bought it for guest house, not personal use
Anyway whenever I try to connect to wifi it says invalid password, even if its not. Tried hundreads of times and with other devices it works fine.

Attachments

• 13383528_1094323747277953_1029791564_o.jpg
    13383528_1094323747277953_1029791564_o.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 79
The box is looking for a password for WEP encryption.
Is this the same type of encryption on your router?

WEP is an older method of encryption and was easy to hack.
I'll bet your router is set up with a higher quality protocol like WPA or WPA2.

If you can get to your router admin panel then changing the encryption type will be easy.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Are you sure you are trying to connect to the right WIFI ID?
I was asking myself this same question as you mentioned you're setting this up in a guest house. How far away is the guest house from your wireless router? I wouldn't be surprised if that Android TV box is picking up a neighbors' WiFi network.
If this is what's happening, try installing something like this WiFi Analyzer app on your phone and just do some basic signal strength tests on your home WiFi network:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en
If the signal out to your guest house is on the weak side, maybe you can relocate your wireless router so its signal extends out further.

Upvote 0
Bought a Phillips AndroidTv yesterday - don't even know what model tbh, I bought it for guest house, not personal use
Anyway whenever I try to connect to wifi it says invalid password, even if its not. Tried hundreads of times and with other devices it works fine.

"WEP key"...hmm

Probably the TV doesn't support WEP encrypted WiFi, and is refusing to connect. Quite a few modern devices don't.

See about changing your WiFi network over to WPA or WPA2. If it's a really old WiFi router you might have to replace it.

WEP has been deprecated for number of years now as it's completely insecure.

Last edited:
Reactions: WalwRafii
Upvote 0
Probably the TV doesn't support WEP encrypted WiFi...

Yes, that's a possibility... but the screenshot from the original poster suggests that that the device is looking for a WEP key.

Does your router have a WPS button?
(This will be an unmarked button somewhere on your router that appears to do nothing!)
If you're lucky there may be a WPS logo near it.
If it does, you're in luck. The TV will do all the password work for you when you press this button.

If this doesn't work on your TV under the network settings hit SCAN then STANDARD...

If you have WEP security encryption, the TV asks for the WEP encryption key in hexadecimal numbers.
Find this hexadecimal key in the router software on your PC.
Write down the first key of the WEP keys list and enter it on TV with the remote control.
If the security key is accepted, the TV is connected with the wireless router.

I hope this helps...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yes... that's true... if the printer had come with a computer I could have hooked them both up with a USB cable to eventually get my WiFi sorted out. Or I could have borrowed a computer, set it up at the printer location then hooked them together via a USB cable and done the same thing.

There are work-arounds to most tech problems. Unfortunately, getting WiFi on my printer is only possible via the WPS button unless I want to go to an extraordinary amount of inconvenience.

In the end, pressing the button on the printer turned out to be the best option!

Yes, you're right... it's a good machine and has worked out well... but a tad expensive to run if you do a lot of printing.
I don't so it's a good option for me.

Cheers...

Upvote 0
Thought it might be WEP was the problem. I've seen devices that refuse or can't connect to WEP, including a newish Windows 10 tablet.

You might want to change to a secure encryption. WEP is not secure at all and can be cracked in less than a minute using readily available tools.

If it's a network that your guest house clients use, they might have difficulties with it as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: svim
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones