• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't copy files from network to external SD

I can't seem to copy files from the network to the external SD card reliably. If it is going to fail, it always fails immediately (i.e. the copy never starts). If the copy starts it always completes without problems.

If I use X-Plore or ES Explorer I can scan the wifi network to find computers. I can then drill into them and navigate into folders that have been shared. I can copy files from there to the phone's internal storage no problem, and from there I can copy the files onto the external SD card, but it's a hassle, and requires as much free space on the phone storage as the size of the files you want to copy.

Is there any way of copying directly to the external SD card reliably?

Samsung GS4
Android 4.3
Kernel 3.4.0-2082040

I can't seem to copy files from the network to the external SD card reliably. If it is going to fail, it always fails immediately (i.e. the copy never starts). If the copy starts it always completes without problems.

If I use X-Plore or ES Explorer I can scan the wifi network to find computers. I can then drill into them and navigate into folders that have been shared. I can copy files from there to the phone's internal storage no problem, and from there I can copy the files onto the external SD card, but it's a hassle, and requires as much free space on the phone storage as the size of the files you want to copy.

Is there any way of copying directly to the external SD card reliably?

Samsung GS4
Android 4.3
Kernel 3.4.0-2082040

Hmm, I've never had an issue with it. Perhaps your SD card is flaky? Also try AirDroid. That's an easy way to move files as well.

Upvote 0
I posted about this a couple of months back because I have this same problem with my S4's ext-sd and my laptop which is a Dell that's about 4 years old. Sometimes the copy goes quick and smoothly, but most times it takes forever or just hangs. If I try to cancel the copying it hangs forever and I have to disconnect the phone. Every other computer that I've tried is just fine and if I remove the card and use it in a card reader it is fine. Like you experienced, copying to internal memory is OK.

I bought a new ultra high speed Samsung 64GB card and it has the same issue so I don't think getting a new card will help with this. The upgrade to 4.3 didn't make a difference either. I tried deleting the USB ports on my laptop and re-installing drivers and it was still the same slow transfer or fail 4 out of 5 times.

I think it is a combination of the actual computer bus speed and how the 4+ android OS handles using the external drive since it is still available on the phone when plugged in to a usb port. At least in my experience with previous phones and android 2.3, the internal and external memory couldn't be accessed from the phone while plugged into usb and using the phone as an external drive on the PC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones