Can't copy/paste from an email?

Last Updated:

1. eraser

eraser Well-Known Member

I forgot my password to this very site, so I reset it from my droid.

A couple of seconds later I receive an email with my temporary password, I try to copy it to paste it into the login window in the browser and ...

I find myself at a loss on how to copy text from an email.

I google around and find this: How do you copy/paste text from the Gmail app? - Android Community Forums

It says it is not possible? :confused: (the provided workaround does not work)

This is a major bummer, I've been doing this on my old BlackBerry for years.

2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

I know what you mean....... Hopefully Google will get this sorted......Eventually :rolleyes:
  3. kg6epf

kg6epf Well-Known Member

Slide open the keyboard, hold shift and slide your finger across the text you want copied to the clipboard.
  4. joscon

joscon Active Member

thank you !!!
  5. stewp97

stewp97 Member

So another dumb question, how do you paste it, say in the browser search bar?

thanks, peter
  6. stewp97

stewp97 Member

Ah, figured it out. Hold menu and V. Nevermind
  7. gehx

gehx Member

how do u slide open the kb...all it does for me is scroll the message up :confused:
  8. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Damn those who have a Physical Keyboard! {I have a HTC Magic} :D
  9. FireChief

FireChief Well-Known Member

This is a great find. (how to copy text from an email in the gmail app)

Awesome... Thanks!
  10. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

they did think of a lot on this phone, still a few bugs, but they thought of a lot!
  11. mystik1

mystik1 Well-Known Member

I can get it to copy a little text, but not multi-line. Any thoughts?
  12. mcs9b

mcs9b New Member

I was unable to copy more than a line and a half of text either.....anyone know what to do?
  13. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

If you use the trick mentioned about using the physical keyboard it will continue to select as much as you want as long as you don't let go of the Shift key.
  14. mcs9b

mcs9b New Member

That seems to work for long lines of text, but when I tried to select a snail mail address from an email that was four lines long, each line being fairly short, I was unable to select more than a line-and-a-half or so of text.
  15. KeithG

KeithG Well-Known Member

Learn something new everyday......

You got some rep for that one :)
  16. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

now, how do you forward an email as an MMS/SMS? God I miss that feature
  17. Sidecar

Sidecar Member

How do you copy text from an email on the nexus one? I've tried long pressing and shift+S and a few other things. Do you need a physical keyboard to copy and paste?

**I'm not talking about in a text field, I'm talking about a received email**
  18. thumper300zx

thumper300zx Member

"Slide open the keyboard, hold shift and slide your finger across the text you want copied to the clipboard."

You are today's Droid savior.
  19. Polymira

Polymira Well-Known Member

Too bad it's usually impossible to be accurate with copying this way as your finger covers the text you are copying and you don't get anything like the iPhone magnifying glass.

Btw, another way to paste is just long press on a text input area and tap paste.
  20. thumper300zx

thumper300zx Member

So, just zoom in before you copy.

...however, here's a question -- if you want to copy a block of data and the darn screen keeps do you stop that?
  21. edawerd

edawerd Member

"copy paste it" will copy paste from anywhere on your phone

It copies text from any screen/app.

It requires a rooted phone
  22. phoneturf

phoneturf Member

I tried Copy Paste It and it works great. Thanks for the tip!

However, I am new to android and am shocked that this functionality is not built-in to the OS already, unlike in every smartphone I have owned in the last 5 years. Haven't we been making fun of iphones for years for not having copy/paste? Then again, I just discovered I stepped back 10 years in bluetooth technology when I bought a 2.1 phone, so I should not have been surprised.
  23. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

In gmail hit the menu key, then "more", then select text. Then slide your finger from the beginning of the text to the end of the text you want to copy. Same method for browser.
  24. kwiknikk

kwiknikk Member

Doesnt work for me in gmail like it does in my browser. I hear 2.2 gives gmail an easy copy/paste though
  25. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Woops, I am using a rooted 2.2 ROM. I forgot 2.1 did not have that.