• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't delete some files!!

kasperkyd

Lurker
Nov 2, 2012
Hi,

I'm using Jellybean on Samsung S3, and I downloaded a file but instead of downloading to my External SD I did download it to /storage/sdcard0/mnt/extSdCard and that's different than my External SD location which is /storage/extSdCard

Now I can't delete those files from the location downloaded to :thinking:
I tried to use File Manager Apps, restarted my device, but still it won't let me delete those video files from location /storage/sdcard0/mnt/extSdCard

Please anyone has a clue? :)

Should not have to root to access a location that the phone has downloaded to though

change the location of downloads so it does not happen again

You can change the default location for the browser downloads in the default browser. Just go to the browser and press the menu button, then Settings, Advanced. You should see the Default Storage option which you can press and change to Memory card

Upvote 0
I won't root my device for some safety reasons, I'm worried even without rooting it from all those apps and the permissions they gain over the phone, anyway, my downloading location has been changed already but now I need to get rid of those files from my phone, there must be a way !!

Well if you are that concerned you could perform a factory reset, that would certainly get rid of them, and anything else on there :p

Upvote 0
I've seen files like that on XP. "You don't have permission." Sometimes you can right click on the properties of the file and change from read only so you can delete them.

I just right clicked on an apk file and got:
"This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer."

This was an apk I downloaded.

I have one password protected app, and I was able to unselect "read only" from the backup I have.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones