Cant delete texts in Eris stock messenger!General

Last Updated:

1. Blondie7303

Blondie7303 New Member This Topic's Starter

I cannot erase any texts in my Eris!! Whether I select just one person (and therefore one thread) to delete or deleting my entire inbox, my phone locks up, messaging crashes/force closes. My phone is incredibly slow and I'm assuming the plethora of messages is at least partially to blame. Please help!:confused:

Advertisement
  2. Stinky Stinky

Stinky Stinky Well-Known Member

3. erisftw15

erisftw15 Well-Known Member

its the same way with my eris
    it locks up with handscent also ur just gonna have to delete the thread when ur not using sms or when ur gonna go to bed

too many messages will cause the keyboard to lag so dont wait too long

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Hello Blondie.

It sounds like messages have built up to a level in your Eris that is causing system lag. There are a few things you can do to remedy that, some mentioned in this thread already.

If it were mine doing that (and it never has because I don't allow my message or email total to go above 50, keeping up with deletions ;)), I'd first go into menu > settings > applications > application manager and clear caches on everything that comes up in the top 10 after hitting menu > sort by size.

Then I'd clear data on messaging and gmail and email.

Then I'd to a live battery pull (remove the battery while the device is running, leave it out for a minute or so the put it back in and reboot).

If all is well I'd skip the factory data reset and just keep up with deleting messages often.

If no joy I'd do a back up of apps and gmail, etc, then do that reset: menu > privacy > factory reset.

5. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Try this app
    Delete old messages - Android app on AppBrain
    If you have lots of messages on your phone it will take quite a while to delete them. By 'quite a while' I mean you should set the process to run overnight while you're sleeping.

6. lennyjew

lennyjew Well-Known Member

Honestly it's worth buying the full version of delete old messages. That way you can just set the app to automatically clear out messages based on total messages, thread count, or time. Then you don't have to think about it.

7. gtbensley

gtbensley Member

I am having the same issue, I try to delete old messages in handcent and my phone hates it and freezes when I try to do anything else. Maybe I will try it tonight and just leave it while i sleep.

8. gtbensley

gtbensley Member

I cannot get messages to delete no matter what. Have given it a whole night to delete messages and tried deleting handcent and reinstalling it and all the messages are still there. Help me, my phone is wicked slow.

9. D1RTY R1CE

D1RTY R1CE Member

I had the same problem with my old Eris. I had a huge list of texts that would not delete no matter what I tried. I went to verizon and like an idiot, got a new Eris. I keep my messages deleted now and the phone runs good now for the most part.