Can't download anything from market. Help!Support

Last Updated:

1. El Champion

El Champion Member This Topic's Starter

I just rooted (via simpleroot) a couple days ago and everything was fine beside my gallery not loading pics and being unable to download anything from the market. I fixed (I think) the gallery issue by updating my PRL and profile but the market issue is still there. I've tried rebooting, deleting the cache from the market and download manager, and even wiping. Now I'm out of ideas. Did I screw up the rooting process or something? Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Patticake

Patticake New Member

Here was the solution that moderator EarlyMon gave me. Maybe it will help you?

Originally Posted by Patticake
    Earlymon,

I so admire the clarity and thoroughness of your posts! I haven't been able to get my EVO onto the Android Market since at least August 20 (probably since Froyo, actually); my much-needed trial apps have gone obsolete and I can't go pay for them properly! If you say I should, I'll follow your "how to fix Froyo" sticky thread, but I am fearful of doing more harm than good and losing any and all existing apps in the process. Your sage advice, sir? Thank you IMMENSELY.

Patticake

Flattery will get you everywhere - and even better if it gets you back in sync with the Market!

Please give me until tomorrow (sometime Thursday) on this one - that's the best I can offer at this late hour, don't want to mis-advise.

Many cheers,
    EarlyThank you thank you!OK - but first, let's see I can earn that!

First and foremost question - do you use Gmail and is it working reliably? If not - we stop here and fix, and try Market.

Next, if Gmail is working - update your Profile via Menu -> Settings -> System updates, and try Market.

After that if still no Market - beginning with going online to your Gmail account via the web - not your phone - do you have ALL your contacts up on the Google server? (Contacts link is to the left when viewing your Gmail web page.) If you need help on that, let me know. At this step, we remove your Gmail account data - and then re-enter it - this is like a mini "How to fix Froyo" in case you have some stuck bits concerning your Gmail account. To do it - Menu -> Settings -> Accounts&sync -> Your google account -> (next page) remove account.

To get it back - launch Market, re-enter your gmail username and password.

If you've done these things, in whole or in part, let me know - I'm not trying to barrage you and send you off - just trying to give you the overview of the order of steps I'd suggest here.

EarlyYou're the man, Early Mon! It WORKED!

Even though I had tested Gmail over and over, and updated my Profile many times in the last 20 days, this time I added the step of updating my Profile as the very next move after checking Gmail, with no intervening clicks. FINALLY I got the necessary--and embarrassingly simple--Error Message: Market needs Background Data On. Background Data is turned OFF.

Why was Background Data off? Because for the month prior to the Market fail, I had been successfully following the "How to triple the life of your EVO battery" instructions from a forum. Hah. And had no problem with Market access. But that was before Froyo!

Just FYI, I bet there are a lot of us out there--I've seen many postings on many sites from people not knowing why they suddenly can, or can't, get to Market on their Froyo phone...but they get that generic Error message instead of the informative Background Data one. And all of us have been reporting that neither Sprint nor HTC has been able to help them at all.

So, THANK YOU. Feel free to post any or all of this correspondence to help out other users!

PatticakeOK - now that I've earned the Wonderful Man title, I'm going to just have to go look in the mirror.... and... I'm back.

You know something? On top of everything else, I think I even _look_ better now!

So - I'll _look_ for others with this problem and use this info to report how this worked for you.

Glad you're up - and Cheers!

EarlyMon

3. El Champion

El Champion Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the reply Patticake, I did everything in it but I still can't download anything from the market. I get a download unsuccessful error or the download never actually starts. Background data is on.

If it helps I'm running Fresh 3.3 and nothing else (for now)

4. mebedaman

mebedaman Member

Thanks for posting these steps. I just had this same problem. After updating the profile and then going back to gmail, then going to the market, it finally worked.

5. mebedaman

mebedaman Member

Well, I thought I had the problem fixed, but it seems to happen every time I power off and power the phone on again. If I check gmail, update my profile, check gmail again (sometimes I have to update profile again - I can't figure it out exactly)...it is usually fixed. But I don't really want to have to do that everytime I start the phone just to be able to download from the market.

Also, when I followed your steps to remove my gmail account data, it said it was not possible because other programs depended on it....and to wipe my device if I needed to delete the profile.

Anybody have any other ideas on how to fix this permanently?

6. mebedaman

mebedaman Member

And if worse comes to worse and I do decide it's worth it to just wipe it, do I have to unroot it and reroot it? (I haven't read about unrooting yet, just the initial rooting) And am I guaranteed that that's going to work?

Note: I'm fairly new to Android and root, so I don't know the details. I just got the Evo today and rooted it almost immediately.

Thanks for any help.

7. nexxman

nexxman Member

THANKS ALOT!!!! This worked great and fixed my market downloading issue.

8. mebedaman

mebedaman Member

Nobody? Please?