Can't download brand-free Android for Unlocked 3UK Hero

Last Updated:

1. grammo106

grammo106 New Member This Topic's Starter

I appear to have gotten myself into a bit of a pickle. I recently bought a 3 Mobile HTC Hero and unlocked it successfully. After putting in my Vodafone sim card and starting up the phone, it doesn't seem to be letting me access Vodafone internet. I'm guessing this is because I have the 3 version of the ROM.

Is there any way I can download the brand free rom or even just fix this internet problem?

This is my first smart phone and I really didn't think this would be a problem. I assumed with android boasting it's open-source-ness that branding wouldn't be an issue... PLEASE don't say I've wasted my money here! :confused:

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Since the phone is originally from 3 you can't install anyone else's ROM on it. But that's not the problem, your phone just needs to be set up for vodaphone's internet. You can probably even get vodaphone to send the settings to your phone for you; have a look on their website.

Or maybe someone on vodaphone can help :)

3. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

[menu] -> settings -> wireless controls -> mobile network settings -> access point names

[menu] -> New APN

Name: Vodafone MMS
    APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk
    Proxy: <Not set>
    Port: <Not set>
    Username: wap
    Password: wap
    Server: <Not set>
    MMSC: http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
    MMS proxy: 212.183.137.12
    MMS port: 8799
    MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC 234
    MNC 15
    APN type mms

[menu] -> save

Now you know as much as i do.

edit: oh, you probably need to restart your phone for this to work, then also maybe select your ISP from settings -> wireless controls -> mobile network settings -> access point names (also maybe select network operator?)

4. grammo106

grammo106 New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys, I actually found the APN details shortly after I posted last night. I really am a smartphone Noob. :eek: