Can't download or install updates to appsSupport

Last Updated:

1. mojobanana

mojobanana Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

second query of the day, but for the past week or so I've been unable to download new apps or install updates to my existing ones.

I updated firmware to 1.5 about a month ago and I have installed apps since then with success, I just can't do it now. Argh! It's really annoying!

Are there settings I can check, or change the way it downloads? I'm trying to download over secure wifi and it doesn't seem to matter if the battery's fully charged or not.

Thanks!
    Jo

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

There's a common bug where downloads wont start and opening google talk and letting it sign in fixes it.

Fingers crossed that's all you need :)

3. craigus195

craigus195 New Member

I've been roaming around this forum since August but I've joined now because I have something useful to say.

mojobanana, I’m not sure if the above post fixed your issue but I've recently experienced the same problem. Apparently it has to do with switching your email address from googlemail.com to gmail.com.

Whatever you do, DO NOT clear data of the Google applications in your phone - there's a bug and when you try to put your new email address and password when signing on to Google services again you get an error "cannot connect to server". Apparently the only solution is to hard reset.

Alternatively, you can go to your Gmail account online and revert back to googlemail.com and this should solve the issue.

If you haven't changed from googlemail to Gmail, then ignore all of the above!!!

Elijah2104 and Xyro like this.
  4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

+1 to that. We got a lot of people here with market problems when google offered the switch over.

5. craigus195

craigus195 New Member

It’s a pain. Wish I googled the problem a bit more; before I decided to delete the Google apps info. Now I’m stuck with no market access.

Think I’ll wait till the update arrives and that should do it. (I think in patient enough to wait another week...if indeed it comes out for us UK/EU GSM users then)

6. Heeyore

Heeyore New Member

Hi,

I've had the same problem, i.e. not being able to download apps from the market using either network or wi-fi. This started when I agreed to become gmail instead of googlemail. I just swithched back to googlemail and instantly all the apps I have been recently trying to download flooded into my G2 Touch - brilliant and thanks.!

Heeyore

7. MissPirate

MissPirate New Member

Oh my goodness this has been bugging me for about 3 days, and I've just switched back to googlemail and my apps have instantly downloaded! Thank you craigus195, I can sleep tonight :)

8. niki1207

niki1207 Member

this had been bugging me today reverted back to googlemaiol.com and all sorted :)
    thanks
    x

9. tlzeebub

tlzeebub Member

Thanks guys, I was ready to throw my Hero in rage.

10. Amelia_87

Amelia_87 New Member

Oh my GOD thank you!! Its been driving me maaad!! I was going to post on here but made sure to browse incase I found the answer!

11. km2002

km2002 Well-Known Member

OK, this is the first post I've seen anywhere that has a hint of a workable suggestion to the problem, which appears to cross instruments. However, I've never had a googlemail account, just a gmail account. And for the first few months, I had no problems with downloads or installs. Now I have all kinds of problems; right now, I have two apps that supposedly downloaded updates, but have been "installing" for more than 31 hours now. So how do I get a googlemail account without killing all the data I have in my gmail account; or is there another way to get apps to download and install (and for that matter, uninstall) properly? Thanks, all.

12. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

googlemail account is the same thing as gmail

moved to support section

13. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Not quite....

Afaik you can't now. UK users were originally given @googlemail accounts by default, until a few months ago when @gmail was made (optionally) available. You can switch from the former to the latter, but the reverse isn't possible unless you've already switched and wish to revert. I also believe that new accounts will be @gmail by default now.

Stuck downloads can often be fixed by deleting the Market cache data via Settings/Applications. If that fails, uninstalling then reinstalling the apps usually works.

14. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

No sh*t??? I for real didn't know that... huh, interesting.
    Sorry OP.
    So is that a america/europe difference?