• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't download or install updates to apps

mojobanana

Lurker
Jun 4, 2010
Hi,

second query of the day, but for the past week or so I've been unable to download new apps or install updates to my existing ones.

I updated firmware to 1.5 about a month ago and I have installed apps since then with success, I just can't do it now. Argh! It's really annoying!

Are there settings I can check, or change the way it downloads? I'm trying to download over secure wifi and it doesn't seem to matter if the battery's fully charged or not.

Thanks!
Jo

I've been roaming around this forum since August but I've joined now because I have something useful to say.

mojobanana, I’m not sure if the above post fixed your issue but I've recently experienced the same problem. Apparently it has to do with switching your email address from googlemail.com to gmail.com.

Whatever you do, DO NOT clear data of the Google applications in your phone - there's a bug and when you try to put your new email address and password when signing on to Google services again you get an error "cannot connect to server". Apparently the only solution is to hard reset.

Alternatively, you can go to your Gmail account online and revert back to googlemail.com and this should solve the issue.

If you haven't changed from googlemail to Gmail, then ignore all of the above!!!

Reactions: Elijah2104 and Xyro
Upvote 0
Hi,

I've had the same problem, i.e. not being able to download apps from the market using either network or wi-fi. This started when I agreed to become gmail instead of googlemail. I just swithched back to googlemail and instantly all the apps I have been recently trying to download flooded into my G2 Touch - brilliant and thanks.!

Heeyore

Upvote 0
OK, this is the first post I've seen anywhere that has a hint of a workable suggestion to the problem, which appears to cross instruments. However, I've never had a googlemail account, just a gmail account. And for the first few months, I had no problems with downloads or installs. Now I have all kinds of problems; right now, I have two apps that supposedly downloaded updates, but have been "installing" for more than 31 hours now. So how do I get a googlemail account without killing all the data I have in my gmail account; or is there another way to get apps to download and install (and for that matter, uninstall) properly? Thanks, all.

Upvote 0
OK, this is the first post I've seen anywhere that has a hint of a workable suggestion to the problem, which appears to cross instruments. However, I've never had a googlemail account, just a gmail account. And for the first few months, I had no problems with downloads or installs. Now I have all kinds of problems; right now, I have two apps that supposedly downloaded updates, but have been "installing" for more than 31 hours now. So how do I get a googlemail account without killing all the data I have in my gmail account; or is there another way to get apps to download and install (and for that matter, uninstall) properly? Thanks, all.

googlemail account is the same thing as gmail

moved to support section

Upvote 0
googlemail account is the same thing as gmail

Not quite....

So how do I get a googlemail account without killing all the data I have in my gmail account

Afaik you can't now. UK users were originally given @googlemail accounts by default, until a few months ago when @gmail was made (optionally) available. You can switch from the former to the latter, but the reverse isn't possible unless you've already switched and wish to revert. I also believe that new accounts will be @gmail by default now.

Stuck downloads can often be fixed by deleting the Market cache data via Settings/Applications. If that fails, uninstalling then reinstalling the apps usually works.

Upvote 0
Not quite....

Afaik you can't now. UK users were originally given @googlemail accounts by default, until a few months ago when @gmail was made (optionally) available. You can switch from the former to the latter, but the reverse isn't possible unless you've already switched and wish to revert. I also believe that new accounts will be @gmail by default now.

Stuck downloads can often be fixed by deleting the Market cache data via Settings/Applications. If that fails, uninstalling then reinstalling the apps usually works.

No sh*t??? I for real didn't know that... huh, interesting.
Sorry OP.
So is that a america/europe difference?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones