• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help cant download or update any apps! insufficient storage available... but i have lots!!

okay so I rooted my phone and not too long after I could not download or update any of my applications. I tried removing my google account from my phone, re adding it and rebooting. But that didn't work. I also tried clearing the cache for all Google Play store and play services and rebooting with no luck. I have over 500 megabytes of free internal memory and about 5 gigs free memory on my SD card. I read something somewhere about a log file that I needed to delete to fix this error, but because I did NOT download root explorer before this incident happened I have no way of navigating my files. I tried installing apps from my sd card that I download it on the computer and I can't get apps on my phone that way either.. does anybody have any suggestions of any way that I can get apps on my phone again? I tried restoring to an earlier point but that didn't work either.. any help or suggestions would be appreciated

okay so I rooted my phone and not too long after I could not download or update any of my applications. I tried removing my google account from my phone, re adding it and rebooting. But that didn't work. I also tried clearing the cache for all Google Play store and play services and rebooting with no luck. I have over 500 megabytes of free internal memory and about 5 gigs free memory on my SD card. I read something somewhere about a log file that I needed to delete to fix this error, but because I did NOT download root explorer before this incident happened I have no way of navigating my files. I tried installing apps from my sd card that I download it on the computer and I can't get apps on my phone that way either.. does anybody have any suggestions of any way that I can get apps on my phone again? I tried restoring to an earlier point but that didn't work either.. any help or suggestions would be appreciated

I have a similar problem. I have a Metro PCS LGMS769 phone running version 4.1.

I recently rooted the phone with the VROOT program (which has become suspect by many because of Chinese connection). I have since uninstalled VROOT, My problem is that my "Contacts Storage" (not Contacts...Contacts Storage) jumps inexplicably from 113MB to over 700MB. I only have about 15 actual contacts using 16kb. I don't know what Contacts Storage is or does and don't know why it jumps in size so high. I've run anti-virus software and there are no infections. Sometimes the problem roots itself and other times I try to correct by rebooting or navigating to System/apps, etc. but I'm not really sure what makes it resolve. Exactly what IS Contacts Storage and how does it differ from "Contacts"? If anyone has insight I'd appreciate a reply.

Thanks!!

Upvote 0
I have a similar problem. I have a Metro PCS LGMS769 phone running version 4.1.

I recently rooted the phone with the VROOT program (which has become suspect by many because of Chinese connection). I have since uninstalled VROOT, My problem is that my "Contacts Storage" (not Contacts...Contacts Storage) jumps inexplicably from 113MB to over 700MB. I only have about 15 actual contacts using 16kb. I don't know what Contacts Storage is or does and don't know why it jumps in size so high. I've run anti-virus software and there are no infections. Sometimes the problem roots itself and other times I try to correct by rebooting or navigating to System/apps, etc. but I'm not really sure what makes it resolve. Exactly what IS Contacts Storage and how does it differ from "Contacts"? If anyone has insight I'd appreciate a reply.

Thanks!!

Are you also getting an Insufficient Storage error message with this problem, because if not this should warrant you creating a separate thread for it.

In regards to OPs issue with Insufficient Storage, a potential fix I suggest would be to download and run an app called MarketFix. It's free and it resolved the issue on a previously owned LG permanently. Can't say if it'll work for sure for the L9 since this problem hasn't occurred to me in my time using it.

Upvote 0
Are you also getting an Insufficient Storage error message with this problem, because if not this should warrant you creating a separate thread for it.

In regards to OPs issue with Insufficient Storage, a potential fix I suggest would be to download and run an app called MarketFix. It's free and it resolved the issue on a previously owned LG permanently. Can't say if it'll work for sure for the L9 since this problem hasn't occurred to me in my time using it.

As indicated I am having similar problem with insufficient space...that is...space running out. I tracked my problem to an inexplicable increase in the size of contacts storage. It jumped from 116MB to .93GB...thus causing low memory errors.

Upvote 0
As indicated I am having similar problem with insufficient space...that is...space running out. I tracked my problem to an inexplicable increase in the size of contacts storage. It jumped from 116MB to .93GB...thus causing low memory errors.

Ok. That still sounds like a different issue and I would create a separate thread for that. This particular issue on this current thread is specifically for a problem where attempting to download and install any apps yields an "Insufficient Storage Available" error message and the app can't be installed, even if the phone has enough storage and memory.

Your issue seems to be about there being a problem with the Contacts app increasing in size and thus literally having low memory. So unless you're also getting the Insufficient Storage available error message when trying to install apps, I would create your own thread for it. I wouldn't know what would be causing the problem you're encountering but perhaps other folks who will see a separate thread for it will look into it.

Upvote 0
sometimes having files from a pc
like thumbs that comes from transfering fron windows can cause issues like this

more often this is the case
sometimes when unstalling an app
a file is left uninstalled
like dex or odex
factory reset will clear these
but if you look in data/apps and data/data for leftovers from unistalled apps
remove them and reboot.

also an app called SdMaid has a feature called
CorpseFinder

this automatically finds these files and you can make it dig deeper if you look at settings.

Reactions: jakman
Upvote 0
Did u instal su user corectly and busy box and unlock bootoader? I havnt finished yet either so im having the same issue kind of. Mine wasnt dispplaying the error at all. If h u deleated vroot the chiness crap u deleated root with out cleaning the system thust traces of root access can be found with out knowing what to do, i think. Finish the process after reinstalling vroot, insall su supper user and busy box. Then unlock the boot loader and install a custom rom. Tip deleat some apks. Its messing up your conectivity. Its best to back up what u got on to your sd card then delate some apks then start the process. Or u could just unroot and factory reset

Upvote 0
Often when deleting apps files get left behind
Such as data or .dex\.odex
This often causes this problem
I have an app called SdMaid
I instslled it to my system so it is available even after a reset
You can use the Corpse finder feature to find and remove all the data .dex /.odex fikes left behind
It also has a feature to notify you to run it after apps are uninstalled

Also even though there is room left on internal sd the system may reserve some
Sometimes just removing videos or pictures n stuff will clear the issue

Upvote 0
UN-FLIPPING-BELIEVABLE! I am not able to install something that is a very small kilo but I was able to install sdmaid. This tells me that it will allow certain things to install but not others. WTF? HELP!

UPDATE: After I got sd maid to install, I went and tried to install an app with 19.75kb and still no luck. So really WTF?

FIXED IT UPDATE: Ok I see many of us are using link2sd due to sd partitioning. I went to link2sd>settings>install location - I changed from external to AUTOMATIC...my problem is solved, I can now install from playstore. HOPE THIS HELPS!

Upvote 0
UN-FLIPPING-BELIEVABLE! I am not able to install something that is a very small kilo but I was able to install sdmaid. This tells me that it will allow certain things to install but not others. WTF? HELP!

UPDATE: After I got sd maid to install, I went and tried to install an app with 19.75kb and still no luck. So really WTF?

FIXED IT UPDATE: Ok I see many of us are using link2sd due to sd partitioning. I went to link2sd>settings>install location - I changed from external to AUTOMATIC...my problem is solved, I can now install from playstore. HOPE THIS HELPS!

Thankyou Jerry. This fixed my issue too.

Upvote 0

You rock! :)

Upvote 0

After 1 week searching for solution, I fixed my phone htc desire 620g with this method. Thanks man.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones