• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can't enable debugging to root phone

OK. Background. I rooted my phone when it was 2.2.1 and life was good. Then one day I decided to connect my phone to the ole 'puter to get the pictures off and free up some space. Stupidly, I let my phone update to 2.2.2, which un-rooted it. :mad:

I went to the 2.2.2 3 click rooting guide which seemed to be a-ok until I tried to boot into recovery mode and the darned thing got locked into fastboot. I made it through the instructions to unbrick (thank you so much) and ended up with a zeroed phone. Made it through the instructions to get service back (freaking YAY!) and now i want to root again.

:hmmmm2: The problem. On the phone there are supposed to be the icons for turning USB mass storage on and off and for enabling debugging. I don't get the debugging icon when I plug in via usb. I need to enable debugging to root the thing!

When I check under device manager, the phone shows as unknown device. I downloaded the usb driver from lg and ran it, and nothing seems to have changed.

Help, I hate the bloatware, it makes me nuts. Thanks. :hello2:

OK. Background. I rooted my phone when it was 2.2.1 and life was good. Then one day I decided to connect my phone to the ole 'puter to get the pictures off and free up some space. Stupidly, I let my phone update to 2.2.2, which un-rooted it. :mad:

I went to the 2.2.2 3 click rooting guide which seemed to be a-ok until I tried to boot into recovery mode and the darned thing got locked into fastboot. I made it through the instructions to unbrick (thank you so much) and ended up with a zeroed phone. Made it through the instructions to get service back (freaking YAY!) and now i want to root again.

:hmmmm2: The problem. On the phone there are supposed to be the icons for turning USB mass storage on and off and for enabling debugging. I don't get the debugging icon when I plug in via usb. I need to enable debugging to root the thing!

When I check under device manager, the phone shows as unknown device. I downloaded the usb driver from lg and ran it, and nothing seems to have changed.

Help, I hate the bloatware, it makes me nuts. Thanks. :hello2:

Turn off USB mass storage.....u need to go to Settings>applications>development>USB debugging and enable it

Still don't work? Reboot phone and if it still don't work, reboot your computer.
If it still don't work make sure you're not using a USB HUB and its connected to the back of the computer, if its a laptop don't use a usb splitter, connect straight to your USB port. Still wont work? Go to about phone and see if it says "charging(USB)" and not "charging(AC)/(DC)"
if it says charging AC/DC then make sure you're using the cord that came with your phone or an OEM cord. If you are then your USB cable needs to be replaced. But I would try to redo the unbrick first....it may just be a bad flash....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones