• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't Exit Safe Mode! What Can I Do?

grant540

Lurker
Sep 7, 2011
Hey, guys!

I am a first-timer, so "Aloha" to you all. I've just purchased a GT 540, and have been messing with it for the last couple of days. Main problem is, for whatever reason, I can't get out of safe mode, and I can't open apps downloaded from the Android Market.

Tried:

1. Resetting to factory defaults a number of times using different SIMs.
2. Removing the battery, SIM and SD cards, waiting for a few minutes, and reassembling.
3. Searched virtually every menu for options to turn off, but to no avail.

My phone runs the default Android v1.6. I guess this trouble with Safe Mode also prevents me from upgrading to v2.1, which I tried numerous times, but the update hanged at 4%, reset the phone, and showed me a communication error.

I'd be really grateful if you can give me any other suggestions. I contacted LG, but they said the handset needs to be serviced. Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you.

Grant,

First off, welcome to the AndroidForums! :)

I answered another similar thread last evening. What I told that member was that I believe safe-mode is usually entered by pressing a combination of keys and sometimes a key / button will become stuck in the "on" position and will throw you into safe-mode.

See if one of the buttons / keys on your phone has a little lint or dirt in it or might be stuck in the on/in position.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. It might be possible that the home button has caused this problem.

I have tried numerous times to make it work, but apparently the Home key just doesn't work at all.

Could it be that it is somehow stuck in a position that prevents me from exiting Safe Mode?

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. It might be possible that the home button has caused this problem.

I have tried numerous times to make it work, but apparently the Home key just doesn't work at all.

Could it be that it is somehow stuck in a position that prevents me from exiting Safe Mode?

Grant,

It does sounds like a hardware issue, given all the things you've already tried. I'm not familiar enough with this phone to suggest any software options (or to even know if they would work given that the phone probably things a key is still being continually pressed).

I was hopeful you might be able to clean or jiggle something loose in the key to free it up, but failing that, I'm not sure what your next course of action might be.

Good luck and I hope you find a solution.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones