Can't figure out how to root my Nexus One. Help!

Last Updated:

1. invaderzim

invaderzim Member This Topic's Starter

I am sure that there are posts like this out there already. However, I can not figure out how to root the N1.

I followed the link on the Root: Nexus One forum here:

[How-To] ROOT Your Nexus One without Unlocking the Bootloader. ALL ROM'S!! - Google Nexus One Owners | Google Groups

It might as well be in Japanese.=)

I have installed ADB and SDK. I get lost at step 3, where it asks to open cammand prompt. I do this and enter 'cmd'. Nothing happens. From then on, I am completely lost.

Please help!

Thanks!
    IZ!

Advertisement
  2. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

Ok, I can help and be more specific, but I need to know what operating system (version of Windows) you are running. Some things are different for each version.

3. invaderzim

invaderzim Member This Topic's Starter

OK so I rooted the phone. After about 2 hours of trial and error I figured it out. However, I downloaded CM 6.

I want to load that ROM on the phone. How do I do that?

I have a Hero as well and the recovery mode was easy to figure out and navigate. The N1 is a pain=)

So in anycase I am running Froyo 2.2 stock. I have command prompt reopened and and back into adb shell. Where to from here?=)

Thanks!
    IZ!

4. juliusedward

juliusedward Active Member

The easiest way is to download an app called ROM Manager from market. Follow the instructions posted in Full Update Guide - Nexus One - CyanogenMod Wiki
    Use an app called titanium backup to backup all the apps and you can restore it once you are on CM6.

5. mkrmec

mkrmec Well-Known Member

Root
    Market (Clockwork)
    install recovery from the clockwork app
    download CM6 Nightly http://mirror.kanged.net/cm/nightly/passion/
    CHECK THE image with MD5 checksum for corruption
    Install via Clockwork (select backup and wipe if you didn't have CM6 on before)
    download and install Google Apps http://mirror.kanged.net/gapps/gapps-hdpi-20100814-signed.zip the same way (without the wipe)

easy

And don't use Titanium backup ... usualy messes up the phone settings etc, just reinstall the apps via market manualy takes longer but it's cleaner with no crap forced by TiBackup