Can't figure out what version I have...Support

Last Updated:

1. Alonski

Alonski Active Member This Topic's Starter

It says I7500JIII1

What does all this mean? Should I upgrade to IK5?

Advertisement
  2. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

I7500: phone model
    JI: country code
    II1: firmware date (I=200[9], I=september [9th month], 1=first build of the month)

you might wanna update to ik5 (latest official), il3 (latest cupcake) or jb2 (latest donut)

3. Alonski

Thanks I guess I will update to IK5... Does it void my warrenty? Also how are you running a non-rooted donut?

4. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

if you can get it updated via nps (new pc studio, came with the phone, plus new version available from samsung's website somewhere) it won't void your warranty

if you update it with odin (see sticky tutorials) it will void the warranty, tho' if something goes banans, but you can flash back to the original firmware (or any officially available there), they can't tell

jb2 is a leaked (said to be official in france?) firmware that's based on donut - flashing any firmware doesn't require root, regardless of if you do it via nps or odin

5. Alonski

If something goes wrong I can always flash back? NPS doesn't work for me so I guess flashing to IK5 via Odin will be it.

6. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

as long as you have the firmware

i've upgraded my firmware twice and both times i had to flash twice because the first try didn't take for whatever reason

7. Alonski

Hmm ok thanks... Umm I can't find a guide for flashing IK5 only II5... Is it the same thing?

8. davyu

davyu Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, despite the firmware probably being available on the samsung firmware website somehow, is it possible to 'extract' the firmware from your phone using odin or something? (I'm on a work computer) so I can't check right now.

9. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

there are 2 types of firmware packages (that i know of), but both pretty much follow the same procedure
    the difference is, one contains files called pda, bootloader, csc and whatnot, which you flash by using those in odin (it'll be obvious when you look at it)
    the other is a .tar file that doesn't contain said files, but some others, including cache.img, which is the csc equivalent (which you'll prolly wanna remove)
    this kind you flash with the "one package" option in odin (also quite straight forward)

i don't know which k5 & i5 are, but you can pretty much follow the same guide

it is, but i don't know how, never bothered with it (i do know it's not with odin)
    look around here for talk of taking backups - i think nandroid has something to do with it

10. Alonski

So I just delete csc and then flash with odin? Thats it?

11. Alonski

I downloaded the II5 from the odin thread and it doesn't have csc or cache.img...
    Its a tar with these:
    amss
    kernal
    recovery
    system

Looks good?

12. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

sure, tho' you'd be better off getting a newer firmware, i5 is hardly newer than your current i1

13. Alonski

Whats a newer version then? I just took this from the odin thread... Can you link me to the newest non 1.6 good release?

14. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

15. Alonski

Thanks I checked there but didn't see. Will time to update lets hope everything goes well. BTW should I update to 1.6? Should I root? Why would I want to do those?

16. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

the current donut firmware is slightly buggier (varies from person to person, some have gone back to a cupcake firmware after trying it; i'm happy with it for now) than the latest cupcakes
    some apps require donut, for example google goggles, maps 4.0 etc.
    donut also introduces a new market app (not much new apart from the look and screenshots of the apps)

rooting gives you access to quite a bit of general geeking around if you know what you're doing, plus some apps require root access

17. Alonski

Thanks... Gonna update to IK5 now... Maybe 1.6 in the future... and I might root for a bit of geeking around