• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't find an app in Market, and my friend can!

Hi,

I'm trying to install the "WoW Remote Auction House" application, but I can't even find it in Market, I have a Samsung Galaxy Europa/5 (i5500), Android 2.1. My friend has a Motorola Milestone (also Android 2.1) and can find the application normaly, install and use it.

Then I tried to install using AppBrain, but it gives me this error message: "Can't find selected item" (free translation from my language).

This is the application: WoW Remote Auction House - Android app on AppBrain

Why is there a difference between our phones?

I have the Europa, my son has the Desire Z. He can find dozens of apps in the market that simply do not appear when I search for them. Even when I follow links through external websites on the inbuilt phone browser and click on the download link, or use the QR link, it returns the market page that says:

"There are no matches in Android Market for the search <whatever>"

Even when the phones are both connected, in the house, through the same broadband wi-fi and right next to each other.

I cleared the cache, and deleted the Market update, but it made no difference - the apps still do not appear. Something fundamentally wrong with the Galaxy Europa?

Upvote 0
Well, it worked for me...

Went to Aproov - Android Apps and searched for the apps I wanted there. Signed up, confirmed registration, and then downloaded all the missing apps to my PC, then USB to the phone, where they run just fine.

I had already ticked the box under Settings/Applications that said to allow the phone to run non-Market apps.

If the apps weren't appearing in Market because the phone's supposedly not powerful enough to run them (though they're doing just fine once I copied them over), surely a better solution would be to have the marketplace display them, but with a warning that says: "Because you have a dinky phone, this might not work properly, if at all, but if you fancy trying it, knock yourself out."

Saying the search couldn't find it was what's called a blatant <flipping> lie.

Upvote 0
Slightly off topic but the android remote auctionhouse is not made by Blizzard. Only the authenticator is currently written by Blizzard. Just an FYI.

Dunno about "made by", but they're listed as the dev on it, and they reference it on the WoW website.

Downside to it is that the paid service (being able to create auctions and collect on them) requires your authenticator... and mine's not the phone app, and I don't carry it everywhere with me. Kind of a bummer.

But yah, on topic, I'm having the same issue with a couple of apps from EA... kinda annoying since their website says my phone is supported, but it's definitely not showing up in the marketplace and the text they send with the link goes to a 404.

Upvote 0
The Europa has a relatively low screen resolution of 240x320 pixels. Some apps require a higher resolution and if the phone does not meet the minimum requirements for the app it will not be available in the market for that phone.

Thanks! That should be the problem...
Odd, because both applications shouldn't need more resolution then that.

By the way, how can I read the MANIFEST file from an app? Just to make sure...

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Well, it worked for me...

Went to Aproov - Android Apps and searched for the apps I wanted there. Signed up, confirmed registration, and then downloaded all the missing apps to my PC, then USB to the phone, where they run just fine.

I had already ticked the box under Settings/Applications that said to allow the phone to run non-Market apps.

If the apps weren't appearing in Market because the phone's supposedly not powerful enough to run them (though they're doing just fine once I copied them over), surely a better solution would be to have the marketplace display them, but with a warning that says: "Because you have a dinky phone, this might not work properly, if at all, but if you fancy trying it, knock yourself out."

Saying the search couldn't find it was what's called a blatant <flipping> lie.

Thank you, that worked fine with MSN Talk, just installed and worked perfectly! But Aproov doesn't have Remote Auction House... :(

Would be too much ask for some to please upload this application there?
It is here:
WoW Remote Auction House - Android app on AppBrain

Thanks again! :)

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm trying to install the "WoW Remote Auction House" application, but I can't even find it in Market, I have a Samsung Galaxy Europa/5 (i5500), Android 2.1. My friend has a Motorola Milestone (also Android 2.1) and can find the application normaly, install and use it.
(cut)
You could always try to copy it from your pal's phone over bluetooth...

Upvote 0
Mediafire link to the .apk
Enjoy.

com.blizzard.wow_10.apk

I couldn't find it, but THANKS! Just installed perfectly! =D

Unfortunally the app was really designed for screens bigger then mine... but is ok! Not a big deal... :)

Now I'll look for something the "lies" to Market about my phone and let me install applications that are not supported and I decied if they work or not... =/

Upvote 0
I am seeing the same thing as other folks.

I have an htc EVO and an Android SuperPad2. I have bloomberg installed on my EVO but when I try to find it on Market on my SuperPad2 it never shows up. If I attempt the click the link below on my SuperPad it shows the app was not found?

Both devices are running Adroid 2.2. The superpad has a 10.2 screen.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bloomberg.android

What is deal?

Upvote 0
I am seeing the same thing as other folks.

I have an htc EVO and an Android SuperPad2. I have bloomberg installed on my EVO but when I try to find it on Market on my SuperPad2 it never shows up. If I attempt the click the link below on my SuperPad it shows the app was not found?

Both devices are running Adroid 2.2. The superpad has a 10.2 screen.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bloomberg.android

What is deal?

I came accross this information on another forum and it works!!! I was able to find Bloomberg and AVG Anti Virus!!!

1. Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > (Filter by all) Market > Clear Cache (NOT DATA!)

2. Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Google Services Framework > Clear Data > Force Close
Reboot

--SURFThru Added Steps
3. Start Market (it may fail)

4. Reboot Again

5. Start Market. Now in this case the app came up but still I could not find anything.

6. Start at #1 and do it all over again!

7. IT WORKS!!!! I CAN FIND ALL THE APPS... Just like on my EVO!!!

Upvote 0
I'm having a lot of difficulties in connecting to my home wifi, even with the ssid keyed in. The Error is "either not range" then followed my "disconnected" It just does'nt seem to be able to connect. I read that this is actually inherent in most Android OS. I'm using android 2.2 on my 7" tablet. The connection seems to be ok with a non secured wifi network of my neighbours. Can somebody who has encountered similar problems and have found a fix to resolve this issue, kindly let me know, as I'm at my wits end on this problem.

Thanks, Sunil

Upvote 0
Hello, i had the same problem going onto websites such as "appbrain" and seeing apps that i wanted but couldnt find on the market

But now i think i have a SOLUTION:

1. Go to your phones android market app
2. click menu
3. Then click on the bit where it says content filtering.
4. click "show all apps"

This solved my problem because when i was searching for apps such as "whatsapp" and other social apps it wouldn't even show up in the market.
Now after changing the settings i can find and download any apps i couldn't find whilst using the other settings.

hope this helps
luke_1-2-3.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones