Can't Find Google Maps ???

Last Updated:

1. 3rd-Geer

3rd-Geer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I updated the firmware on my HTC Hero some time ago from Modaco to Firmware 1.5. I just got an N1, so I restored the Hero to give to my wife, and the next thing I noticed is there was no Google Maps. I went in to the Market and again...I couldn't even pull it in a search even though I pulled it in searches on my N1.

Does anyone know what's up here? Do I need to upgrade my firmware? If so, does anyone have a link to the install?

Thanks so much everyone!

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

What ROM/build is the Hero running? I'm assuming by "firmware 1.5" that you mean the stock HTC ROM, which should have the previous version of Google Maps included.

Btw, the latest version of Maps, available via Market, is another app only available for Android 1.6 and above.

3. 3rd-Geer

Right, I actually rooted this phone when I first got it, so the ROM is 1.5. I had to restore the phone and I lost Google Maps. So since I guess the latest version is only 1.6, how can I upgrade the ROM to that. Do you know where the install is for anything greater then 1.5, and something that has some steps?

Thanks so much!

4. Slug

All Hero ROMs are "firmware 1.5", as that's the current OS version. The build number is the important part, as that tells which specific ROM is installed.

Factory reset? That shouldn't have deleted any pre-installed apps.... weird.

There's nothing available yet. There are a couple of experimental 2.x ROMs but afaik none are anything like fully functional.

5. 3rd-Geer

Damn...yeah google maps was literally gone afterwards and I can't actually find it in the Market. Is there any way I can install it myself?

6. Slug

Reinstalling the stock ROM should do it, I think. Or reinstall the custom ROM. Whichever matches what's currently installed - I'm still not sure which ROM that is.

7. 3rd-Geer

Where can I get the latest custom ROM? Thanks so much for your help. I definitely don't want to go back to the slooooow original rom.

8. Slug

You still haven't said what the current build number is. Without that it's difficult to advise you....