Can't Find Sprint HTC Hero Data CableAccessories

Last Updated: 2010-10-11 15:03:12
  1. Zinja

Zinja Well-Known Member

As you know the data cable that comes with the phone has a unique slant to it and the bottom right corner. I have yet to locate this exact cable on any of the major shopping sites.

Many people claim that a standard mini USB plug will fit and charge the phone. Will it also sync data?

I would prefer to get a link to the exact cable that came with the phone, and also to find out if people can honestly verify that standard mini USB plugs not intended for this device will at least charge it.

Advertisement
  2. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Well-Known Member

YES a standard USB cable will work just fine with the HERO -

Sprint Tech near my home only uses them - Claims they work better - fewer data interruptions etc.

Besides the standard Hero cables SUCK - Poor quality....
    Zinja and wrench like this.
  3. my menace

my menace Well-Known Member

^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^
    Zinja likes this.
  4. JeffCO

JeffCO Member

I too use a standard cable instead of the one the phone came with. Using one right now to recharge in fact. But it doesn't go the other way - the Hero cable's proprietary mini end won't fit into any of the standard mini-USB slots I've tried.
    Zinja likes this.
  5. Whiskeypawz

Whiskeypawz Well-Known Member

Zinja likes this.
  6. Whiskeypawz

7. jetjock46

jetjock46 Active Member

8. enjoythemouse

enjoythemouse New Member

I've found mini usb's work better for me. The HTC one seems loose and will just stop charging my phone for no apparent reason...and they are cheap.
    Zinja likes this.
  9. Whiskeypawz

Here is the official answer I received from a USB company.

Thank you for choosing USBFireWire – We are thrilled to serve you!
    The USB port on your phone is a proprietary USB port – designed by HTC.

Though we do not carry a cable that has that specific connector, according to our research, any of our regular USB Mini-B connector cables should plug-in and work with your phone.

Link: USB A to Mini B Cables (5 pin) - Right Angle USB Cables, Short USB Cables - USB Angled A to Angled Mini-B

Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to accommodate you.
  10. wrench

wrench Well-Known Member

This is good to know. Why did HTC insist on using a proprietary design? Did they plan on starting a side business in usb cables? You'd think they'd be busy enough building new Android phones every 6 months.
  11. Zinja

Zinja Well-Known Member

Thanks all. Finally found a use for all of those mini usb cables I've had from old cell phones. Works just fine.
  12. zx12richard

zx12richard Well-Known Member

I use the short cable from my mp3 player
  13. MarvinDog

MarvinDog Member

The HTC port also has audio and video. There's a docking station available in Europe that has audio and video RCA connections that'll allow you to connect your Hero (or other HTC phone with the funky USB port) to a tv or stereo.
  14. dwwright

dwwright New Member

Awesome! I had been looking for the slant connector, but not had much luck.

Should be added to sticky's or at least in the tips sticky.

Thanks!
  15. Napalm

Napalm Well-Known Member

Has anyone looked to see if the slanted port matched this new HDMPC connection. Found on some new video cards. Its supposed to be the next standard in HDMI cables for computer use only.

Glad to hear something works, that HTC cable that came with the phone is starting come apart.