• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't find videos when connected to computer

Arthur14

Lurker
Mar 8, 2015
I'm trying to move all my videos from my S5 to my computer. I was able to move all my pics but can't find any videos which are taking up a lot of space on my phone. I tried to import all pics & videos and then erase after importing but now only the videos are remaining.

I tried to search for *.mp4, etc but unable to come up with anything.

Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem. Images (JPEGs) are available in the folder (DCIM-CAMERA), videos should be in the same folder but aren't. They appear and work fine on the phone (Samsung Galaxy S5). Also, if I take a video whilst connected to the computer, the video appears in the folder on the computer and plays perfectly! If I disconnect the phone and then re-connect, the video is gone!!

I've checked the file location on the phone which just confirms that I am looking the correct folder. The appearance of the video while connected just proves this further.

I have tried this on two different HP laptops, both about 3 months old and both running Windows 8.1. I have also tried another Galaxy S5 (on both laptops) with the exact same problem (incl. the video test whilst connected).

I have also tried using a Galaxy Note 3 but this works ok-ish. Videos do disappear sometimes but mostly, I can see them/play them ok.

This is indeed very, very strange! If anyone has any clue to what the problem is or has a work-around, I would love to hear from them. I really need to download a video from my S5.

Upvote 0
Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem. Images (JPEGs) are available in the folder (DCIM-CAMERA), videos should be in the same folder but aren't. They appear and work fine on the phone (Samsung Galaxy S5). Also, if I take a video whilst connected to the computer, the video appears in the folder on the computer and plays perfectly! If I disconnect the phone and then re-connect, the video is gone!!

I've checked the file location on the phone which just confirms that I am looking the correct folder. The appearance of the video while connected just proves this further.

I have tried this on two different HP laptops, both about 3 months old and both running Windows 8.1. I have also tried another Galaxy S5 (on both laptops) with the exact same problem (incl. the video test whilst connected).

I have also tried using a Galaxy Note 3 but this works ok-ish. Videos do disappear sometimes but mostly, I can see them/play them ok.

This is indeed very, very strange! If anyone has any clue to what the problem is or has a work-around, I would love to hear from them. I really need to download a video from my S5.
For a work-around, if you can access the videos on the phones, you just need to use an alternative transfer method than USB cable. Someone has already suggested AirDroid. I use Wi-Fi File Transfer Pro myself.

Upvote 0
Seems like you are not alone. I was reading threads earlier about people having the same problem. I have an S4 and video can be found in the DCIM folder.

Samsung Kies may help. Just connect to the phone and under your device name click "videos". It will search your device and if you right click the icons you can export to your PC. This assumes Kies can find them!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones