Can't get compass to calibrateSupport

Last Updated:

1. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I tried the free compass from catch.com, plus some others, and I can't get any of them to calibrate correctly. Anyone else have these issues? I don't know if its the phone or the apps.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. gme109

No one? Not even a comment saying my compass works fine, or not. I'm just trying to figure out if its the phone or the app.

Thanks

3. gme109

Hard to believe no one is using a compass app on their Epic phone.

4. giggadee

giggadee New Member

I got an Epic 4G about a week ago and was having the same problem until I calibrated it within an app called: GPS Essentials.

Within this app, there is a compass function that has a calibration setting. I followed the directions (involves rotating the phone on a few axis points) and the compass began working properly. I hope this helps!

You may also try (within any compass app) to hold your phone and basically move it around in the air in figure-eight patterns a few times rapidly. I previously had a Hero and had to do this occasionally when the compass got out of whack.

5. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Wave your phone around in the air like a figure 8. Works for me when I have issues.

6. dawankler

dawankler Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that's the title of Snoop Dogg's next single.

7. gme109

I already tried waving the phone in a figure 8, but it didn't work. I'll give the GPS essentials a try.

Thanks!

8. gme109

Although it seems to behave better than the last compass app, north is still not very consistent when rotating it. I wouldn't want to rely on it if I was lost in the woods.

9. lencooley

lencooley New Member

FWIW, I have the same problem. Can't get it to calibrate to anything near accurate (Note the date).

10. nstg8r

nstg8r Well-Known Member

I can't remember where I saw this or who posted it, but this is how I got it to work (thanks to whoever it was that did post this):

Go to: Settings>Display>Horizontal calibration

Now here's the tricky part. You have to calibrate the phone UPSIDE DOWN. I did this by finding a level surface (my desk) using an actual bubble level. Put the phone on it upside down, but with the "calibrate" button visible. Touch it and then wait for it to finish. Then you can go to your compass app and do the figure 8 calibration. That should work.

11. MadalinX

MadalinX Active Member

Had the same problem. All good now. I used GPS Essentials compass calibration. Watch the you tube demo first to know how to do it, the instructions are a bit fuzzy ;)

Good luck!

Thanks giggadee !